Is spinach low FODMAP?
Yes, spinach is low FODMAP!
But the FODMAP contents and safe serving size differ between different kinds of spinach.
What kinds of spinach are low FODMAP?
Monash University differentiates between three different kinds of spinach in their FODMAP app:
- English spinach, raw: a serving of 75 grams is low FODMAP. No maximum serving size is mentioned.
- Baby spinach, raw: a serving of 75 grams is low FODMAP. At servings of 150 grams or more baby spinach contains a moderate amount of fructans and intake should be limited.
- Water spinach, raw: a serving of 75 grams is low FODMAP. This food remains low in FODMAPs in a serving size of up to 500 grams.
What is the difference between baby spinach and English spinach?
Baby spinach are spinach leaves that are harvested before they mature. Baby spinach is often used in salads.
Water spinach is a water vegetable that is often eaten in South-East Asia. You can eat water spinach in a large serving before it becomes high in FODMAPs.
Because no limitations are given for English spinach in the Monash FODMAP app, it is expected that you can eat several servings of English spinach without problems.
Is cooked spinach low FODMAP?
Yes, it is. The Monash app usually gives serving sizes for raw vegetables.
This is because you usually measure vegetables before you cook them. Spinach becomes a lot smaller when you cook it.
So simply measure your spinach before you cook it and then proceed to use it in your meal.
Low FODMAP recipes for spinach
Looking for some inspiration to create low FODMAP recipes with spinach? I have some yummy recipes listed for you below:
- Low FODMAP creamed spinach
- Creamy low FODMAP pasta with salmon and spinach
- Vegetarian lasagna with spinach
- Gnocchi with spinach pesto
- Pumpkin and spinach quiche
- Sweet potato mash with spinach
- 2x low FODMAP smoothie
Enjoy your low FODMAP meal with spinach!
Other blogs about the FODMAPs in foods
Would you like to read more about whether certain foods are low FODMAP and in what quantities? Check out the articles below:
Fruits and vegetables
- Are tomatoes low FODMAP?
- Is coconut low FODMAP?
- Are bananas low FODMAP?
- Are mushrooms low FODMAP?
- Is broccoli low FODMAP?
- Is kale low FODMAP?
- Is corn low FODMAP?
- Is avocado low FODMAP?
- Is sweet potato low FODMAP?
Dairy and grains
- Is rice low FODMAP?
- Is quinoa low FODMAP?
- Are oats low FODMAP?
- Which milk is low FODMAP?
- What cheeses are low FODMAP?
- Is butter low FODMAP?