Is broccoli low FODMAP?
The short answer to the question “Is broccoli low FODMAP?” is: Yes! In certain amounts it is.
But, as it is often on the low FODMAP diet, you can’t eat broccoli in unlimited servings and the amount you can eat differs for the part of the broccoli that you are eating. Let me explain it to you.
Monash University has tested two parts of the broccoli, heads, and stalks:
- Broccoli heads: low FODMAP at 75 grams (or 3/4 cup). Broccoli heads contain a moderate amount of fructose in servings of 240 grams (2 2/3 cups or more).
- Broccoli stalks: low FODMAP at 45 grams (or 1/3 cup). Broccoli stalks contain a moderate amount of fructose in servings of 50 grams.
For the broccoli heads, you can see that they become high in fructose at a relatively large serving of 240 grams.
This means you can probably eat more than 75 grams of broccoli in a serving, but I would advise staying well below the maximum amount of 240 grams. Just to be safe.
You can test for yourself what amount works for you. I, personally, use broccoli in my meals in servings from 100 to 200 grams without problems.
I am very happy that broccoli heads are low FODMAP in such a large serving because it is a delicious vegetable that can be used in meals in many different ways.
For broccoli stalks, you can see that there is almost no difference between the low FODMAP serving and the serving that contains a moderate amount of FODMAPs.
For broccoli stalks, you should therefore stick to the serving size of 45 grams.
Other kinds of broccoli
Monash University has also tested broccolini or baby broccoli and Gai lan or Chinese broccoli.
You can find the serving sizes for these types of broccoli below:
- Broccolini, heads: low FODMAP in a serving of 58 grams. Contains a moderate amount of fructose in servings of 87 grams or more.
- Broccolini, stalks: low FODMAP in a serving of 90 grams. Contains a moderate amount of fructans in servings of 320 grams or more.
- Gai lan / Chinese broccoli: low FODMAP in a serving of 75 grams (1 cup, chopped). Contains a moderate amount of fructans in servings of 285 grams (4 1/4 cups) or more.
As you can see, for broccolini it is the other way around: broccolini stalks are low FODMAP in larger servings than broccolini heads.
Recipes with broccoli
Fancy eating some broccoli? You can find low FODMAP recipes with broccoli here:
- Chicken broccoli rice casserole
- Broccoli rice casserole
- Broccoli soup
- Beef with broccoli and rice in soy sauce
- Creamy tuna pasta with broccoli
What is your favorite recipe with broccoli?
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen