Is coconut low FODMAP?
Coconut products are a bit mixed when it comes to FODMAP contents. Some coconut products, such as coconut flour are high in several FODMAPs, while others such as coconut yogurt are low FODMAP.
In this blog, I explain which coconut products are low FODMAP and which you should avoid while on the FODMAP diet.
For fresh coconut products, such as fresh coconut and coconut water, Monash University has tested that they have a low FODMAP serving, but are limited low FODMAP:
- Fresh coconut flesh: 64 grams (2/3 cup) is a low FODMAP serving. Servings of 96 grams (1 cup) or more contain a moderate amount of sorbitol.
- Fresh coconut water: 121 ml is a low FODMAP serving. Servings of 177 ml or more contain a moderate amount of sorbitol and fructans.
Monash has also tested commercial coconut water. For this, they say a serving of 100 ml is low FODMAP, and servings of 150 ml or more contain a moderate amount of sorbitol and fructans.
It is not mentioned which brands this entails. Always make sure that the coconut water that you pick doesn’t have any other ingredients that are high in FODMAPs.
Is coconut milk low FODMAP?
Yes, coconut milk is low FODMAP. But also in a limited serving.
Canned coconut milk, for cooking, is low FODMAP in a serving of 60 grams or 1/4 cup. At servings of 120 g or 1/2 cups, it contains a moderate amount of sorbitol.
This means that you can use this in moderation to add to for example curries and soups.
If you choose light canned coconut milk, this is low FODMAP up to servings of 500 grams.
Coconut milk in a carton, long life (UHT), unsweetened is low FODMAP in a serving of 180 grams of 3/4 cups. At servings of 240 grams of 1 cup, it contains a moderate amount of sorbitol.
Make sure that your coconut milk doesn’t contain inulin or any other ingredient that makes it high in FODMAPs.
Powdered coconut milk is also low FODMAP, in servings of 1 tbsp or 20 grams.
There is also condensed coconut milk, which is sweetened. This is low FODMAP in servings of 40 grams or 2 tbsp. In servings of 85 grams or 4 tbsp, it contains a moderate amount of fructans.
Is coconut cream low FODMAP?
Coconut cream is often used in vegan baking recipes. It is a very thick cream made from coconut milk.
Coconut cream is low FODMAP in servings up to 500 grams. So this is safe to use in quite large quantities, yay!
Other coconut products
Below you can find an overview of other coconut products that have been tested on FODMAP contents:
- Coconut oil: as oil doesn’t contain any FODMAPs (FODMAPs are carbohydrates), so coconut oil is low FODMAP.
- Coconut flour: at a serving of 100 grams coconut flour is high in fructose, sorbitol, and fructans. So coconut flour is high in FODMAPs and should be avoided.
- Shredded coconut: shredded coconut is low FODMAP in a serving of 30 grams or 1/2 cup. At servings of 45 grams or 3/4 cups, it contains a moderate amount of sorbitol.
- Coconut sugar: coconut sugar is only low FODMAP in a serving of 1 tsp or 4 grams. At 2 tsp or 9 grams, it contains a moderate amount of fructans.
- Coconut yogurt: coconut yogurt is low FODMAP in a serving of 125 g or 1 tub.
- Vegan cream cheese, coconut oil based: this is low FODMAP in servings of 2 tbsp or 30 grams. At servings of 244 g or 1/2 cup, it contains a moderate amount of fructans.
Make sure to always check the ingredients of products like this to see if it doesn’t contain any other ingredients that are high in FODMAPs.
I hope this makes it a bit clearer which coconut products you can eat and which you should avoid. Luckily, we can eat quite a few of them!
Other blogs about the FODMAPs in foods
Would you like to read more about whether certain foods are low FODMAP and in what quantities? Check out the articles below:
Fruits and vegetables
- Are tomatoes low FODMAP?
- Are bananas low FODMAP?
- Are mushrooms low FODMAP?
- Is broccoli low FODMAP?
- Is kale low FODMAP?
- Is spinach low FODMAP?
- Is corn low FODMAP?
- Is avocado low FODMAP?
- Is sweet potato low FODMAP?
Dairy and grains
- Is rice low FODMAP?
- Is quinoa low FODMAP?
- Are oats low FODMAP?
- Which milk is low FODMAP?
- What cheeses are low FODMAP?
- Is butter low FODMAP?