Low FODMAP gnocchi with spinach pesto and goat cheese
Are you looking for a main dish for Christmas dinner and do you like Italian food? Then you might have found your dish!
I have a recipe for a low FODMAP gnocchi with spinach pesto and goat cheese for you. A delicious vegetarian dish that is easy to make and you can also prepare it beforehand.
What do you need for this gnocchi recipe?
- Low FODMAP and gluten-free gnocchi: here in the Netherlands, the supermarket Albert Heijn sells a fresh gnocchi that is gluten-free and low FODMAP.
If you don’t have that available in your country, you could also go for a dried gnocchi, such as the gnocchi from the gluten-free brand Schär. Or you can serve this dish with gluten-free pasta, such as gluten-free spaghetti.
- Homemade spinach pesto: you can easily make this part of the recipe one day in advance. I made this pesto with fresh spinach, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, olive oil and lemon juice.
- Oyster mushrooms: next to spinach, I added oyster mushrooms to this dish. Oyster mushrooms are low FODMAP in large servings. You could also use a mix of canned mushrooms and oyster mushrooms. Don’t like mushrooms?
Then you could replace them with another low FODMAP vegetable, such as pieces of bell pepper or some cherry tomatoes (use max. 75 gram per person because cherry tomatoes are limited low FODMAP)
- Chopped walnuts, rocket lettuce and grated goat cheese for garnish: if you don’t like goat cheese, you can also use extra parmesan cheese for the topping.
You can prepare the spinach pesto a day before or earlier on the day. Right before you are serving the dish, you only have to fry the oyster mushrooms and add the pesto to it for the sauce and you’ll have to boil the gnocchi.
Gnocchi usually only has to boil for a minute or two, so that will be done very quickly.
A delicious vegetarian Christmas recipe: low FODMAP gnocchi with spinach pesto, oyster mushrooms and goat cheese. Gluten-free and low lactose.
- 800 g (28 oz) gluten-free gnocchi
- 600 g (21 oz) oyster mushrooms
- A splash of olive oil with truffle aroma
- 40 g (1.4 oz) grated goat cheese
- A handful of chopped walnuts, for garnish
- A handful rocket lettuce, for garnish
For the spinach pesto
- 9 handfuls of fresh spinach (about 300 gram / 10.6 oz)
- 90 g (3.1 oz) pine nuts
- 5–6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 120 g (4.2 oz) parmesan cheese
- Make the pesto by putting the spinach, pine nuts, olive oil, lemon juice and parmesan cheese together in a bowl and make this into a pesto with an immersion blender of in a food processor. Taste and season with pepper, salt and optionally some extra lemon juice. Add some extra olive oil if you find the pesto too dry.
- Clean the oyster mushrooms and cut them into pieces.
- Heat some olive oil with truffle aroma in a pan and fry the oyster mushrooms until they darken.
- Boil the gnocchi according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the spinach pesto to the oyster mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes. Taste and season with pepper, salt and optionally some extra lemon juice.
- Divide the rocket lettuce over 4 plates and put the gnocchi on top. Divide the sauce over the plates. Top with grated goat cheese, chopped walnuts and some drops of truffle oil.
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: low FODMAP christmas recipe, low FODMAP gnocchi, low FODMAP gnocchi with spinach pesto, gnocchi with spinach pesto
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.