Low FODMAP potato soup
I have a delicious autumn and winter staple recipe for you: low FODMAP potato soup. A lovely creamy potato soup that makes a delightful starter or lunch.
This simple recipe can be used as a base and you can vary it however you want, for example by adding different kinds of toppings.
The ingredients of the soup
The ingredients of this soup are simple:
- Potatoes: I use starchy potatoes for this recipe. Here in the Netherlands, we call them crumbly or slightly crumbly potatoes. In other countries, a good type of potato to use would be Russet gold potatoes.
- Carrots: I like adding some vegetables to my soup, so I add carrots. This can also be left out if you don’t have any carrots on hand.
- Leek/spring onion: for some greens and extra flavor, I use the green part of leek in the soup and the green part of spring onion or scallion for garnish.
Make sure you only use the green parts because the white part is high in FODMAPs.
- Stock: for the stock, I use stock cubes that are low FODMAP. Make sure to check the ingredients to make sure that no high FODMAP ingredients have been added.
- Lactose-free milk, butter, and a bit of gluten-free flour
You can add different toppings to this soup to make it even yummier. I add some grated cheddar cheese. I love the strong flavor of this cheese! And some spring onion.
I wanted to make this soup vegetarian, so I didn’t add any meat. But if you want, you can also add some bacon as a topping.
A dollop of lactose-free sour cream is also great as a topping.
Is this low FODMAP potato soup healthy?
Many potato soup recipes use cream or full-fat milk. I opted to use reduced-fat milk and only some sour cream for the topping.
This makes this low FODMAP potato soup recipe relatively light and healthy.
How to store
You can store this soup in a sealed container. Keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. I wouldn’t advise freezing this soup.
Because the soup contains dairy it will get a curdled texture when it thaws. Eating it fresh is best.
Low FODMAP budget recipe
This soup is a budget recipe. Below you can see the estimated cost for this recipe at the moment of publishing.
Note: I am in the Netherlands, so I use Dutch supermarket prices in my calculation from the supermarket Albert Heijn:
- Starchy potatoes, 1 kg: €1,89
- Large carrot, 1 piece: €0,35
- Leek, 1 piece: €0,69
- Spring onion, one bush: €0,65
- Lactose-free milk, 1 liter: €1,29
- Grated cheddar cheese, 150 g: €2,39
Total: €7,26 / €1,81 per serving
From the pantry: stock cube, gluten-free flour, and butter.
More soup ideas
Looking for some more low FODMAP soup recipes? Check out the recipes below:
- Low FODMAP chicken noodle soup
- Low FODMAP roasted pumpkin soup
- Low FODMAP tomato soup with meatballs
- Low FODMAP creamy mushroom soup
- Low FODMAP tom kha kai soup
A simple but tasty low FODMAP potato soup with carrot, the green part of leek and spring onion. Topped with cheddar cheese. Low lactose and gluten-free.
- 500 g (17.6 oz) potatoes
- 100 g (3.5 oz) carrots
- 1 leek, the green part only
- 25 g (1.5 tbsp) butter
- 25 g (2.5 tbsp) gluten-free flour
- 750 ml (3 cups) low FODMAP stock (made from 750 ml water and low FODMAP stock cubes or powder)
- 500 ml (2 cups) lactose-free milk
- 50 g (1/4 cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 stalks of spring onion, the green part only
- Optional: lactose-free sour cream or crème fraîche for garnish
- Peel the potatoes and the carrots. Cut into small cubes. Put aside.
- Cut the green part of the leek into rings. Put aside.
- Heat the butter in a soup pan until it has melted.
- Add the flour and cook it for 1 minute. Stir occasionally.
- Add the stock and stir well with a whisk.
- Then add the milk and the potatoes, carrots and leek.
- Bring the soup close to a boil. Then lower the heat to medium-low and leave the soup to simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir the soup now and then.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Optionally stir in the grated cheddar cheese.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of crème fraîche in each bowl and some rings of spring onion.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 255
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 37
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 9
Keywords: low FODMAP potato soup, gluten-free potato soup, potato soup, vegetarian potato soup
Samen gaan we voor buikpijnvrij!
Schrijf je in voor de Karlijn's Kitchen nieuwsbrief en ontvang mijn gratis e-book met 10 onmisbare tips voor FODMAP beginners!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen