Low FODMAP Gazpacho
This recipe is not suitable for the elimination phase of the low FODMAP diet*
Despite the disappointing summer weather in the Netherlands during the first month of summer, I notice that I feel like eating light summer recipes more and more these days.
Summer food is just soo good! Light salads, ice cream, barbeque, loads of fresh fruit, banana ice cream ánd cold soup.
Gazpacho is a Spanish cold soup and while that sounds a bit strange, it tastes very good in summer.
Low FODMAP gazpacho is very simple to make. You really don’t need to adapt the original recipe that much to make a low FODMAP gazpacho.
When I eat normal soup in summer, I am usually sweating within seconds and therefore this cold soup is a perfect way to enjoy soup in summer.
When you get a bowl of gazpacho served to you and you expect a warm soup it might take a bit getting used to, but as soon as you got used to the idea of cold soup, it’s delicious!
*Tomatoes and red bell pepper have been retested in 2022. They are both limited low FODMAP now and contain fructose in larger amounts.
Therefore I don’t advise making this recipe if you are still in the elimination phase or when you know you don’t tolerate fructose well.
A delicious Spanish low FODMAP gazpacho. Traditional cold soup made with tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber and gluten-free white bread. A perfect summer soup!
- 100 gr gluten-free white bread (I used the no crust white bread by Proceli, which is sold in several European countries)
- 750 gr tomatoes*
- 1 jar of smoked red bell pepper (350 gr)*
- 1 cucumber
- 50 ml (garlic) olive oil
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- Soak the white bread in cold water for 2 minutes. The gluten-free bread that I used was very soft already. If you use another kind of bread you might have to soak it a bit longer, 10-15 minutes. Squeeze the water out of the bread and tear it into pieces.
- Cut the tomato, cucumber and bell pepper into cubes.
- If you don’t have low FODMAP garlic oil, you can make it yourself by heating olive oil in a pan and then adding one or two cloves of garlic. Heat the garlic in the oil for a while and then remove it. Leave the oil to cool down.
- Put the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, bread and garlic oil into a bowl. Put everything into a blender and blend into a smooth mixture. Flavour with salt and vinegar.
- Put the gazpacho mixture through a sieve and put it into the fridge for several hours to cool.
- Serve the soup with a garnish of your choice. For example some pieces of cucumber and bell pepper, parsley, spring onion or olives in pieces.
*This recipe is not suitable for the elimination phase. Tomatoes and red bell pepper have been retested in 2022. They are both limited low FODMAP now and contain fructose in larger amounts. Therefore I don’t advise making this recipe if you are still in the elimination phase or when you know you don’t tolerate fructose well.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blend
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: gluten-free gazpacho, lactose-free gazpacho
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.