Low FODMAP vitello tonnato
A classic, but a very tasty classic. I made a low FODMAP vitello tonnato.
This Italian starter is a delicious start to a dinner. For example, at a Christmas dinner with an Italian theme.
What is vitello tonnato?
Vitello tonnato is a starter from the Italian region of Piedmont.
The basis of this dish is thinly sliced veal. What is special is that this dish combines fish and meat.
You serve the veal with a sauce based on tuna, anchovies, and mayonnaise.
A tasty combination and also easy to make.
The ingredients of low FODMAP vitello tonnato
I made this low FODMAP vitello tonnato with the following ingredients:
- Thinly sliced roast veal: you can find this at the butcher. Here in the Netherlands, it is also often available at the supermarket.
- Canned tuna
- Canned anchovies
As seasonings for the sauce: capers, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper
To garnish I use some rocket lettuce salad mix, extra capers, and fresh parsley
You can have this dish on the table in 10 minutes. Especially if you buy already roasted and thinly sliced veal.
You divide the sliced veal over the plates and make the sauce by putting all the ingredients in the blender.
Then season the sauce with the seasonings. Divide the sauce over the veal and garnish with some lettuce, capers, and fresh parsley.
Voilà, with these simple ingredients you can quickly make a festive appetizer!Print
A festive Italian starter: low FODMAP vitello tonnato. Thinly sliced veal with a creamy tuna sauce. Ready in 10 minutes. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 1 can of tuna
- 4 anchovy fillets, canned
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- A pinch of pepper
- A pinch of salt
- 250 g roasted veal in thin slices
- 1 bag of rocket salad mix (note that this does not contain onions)
- 4 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 4 tsp capers
- Drain the tuna and anchovies well. Put this together with the mayonnaise, capers, lemon juice, and olive oil in a bowl and puree with a blender until a smooth sauce.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the slices of veal over 4 plates or over 1 serving platter.
- Divide the tonnato sauce over the slices of veal.
- Garnish the vitello tonnato with a little lettuce, fresh parsley, and extra capers.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Starter
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: low FODMAP vitello tonnato, gluten-free vitello tonnato, lactose-free vitello tonnato
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen