Low FODMAP peppercorn sauce
A delicious classic sauce: low FODMAP peppercorn sauce! Delicious with a meat dish and ideal to serve during the holidays.
I made a low FODMAP peppercorn sauce that is also gluten-free and low in lactose. Ideal for people with intolerances.
How do you make your own peppercorn sauce?
Making peppercorn sauce is not that difficult at all. You only need a handful of ingredients.
The basis of the sauce is a white sauce. I make it with butter, gluten-free flour, and beef stock.
When the base of the sauce is ready, add lactose-free cream and 2 tablespoons of whiskey.
Cognac or whiskey is often used for peppercorn sauce. I chose whiskey, but both whiskey and cognac (brandy) are low FODMAP in small quantities. So you can use either one.
If you want to make the peppercorn sauce without alcohol, you can also skip this part.
A peppercorn sauce is of course not a peppercorn sauce without pepper. So at the end, you add crushed whole peppercorns to the sauce.
These give the peppercorn sauce a nice spicy taste.
What can you serve the pepper sauce with?
Peppercorn sauce is best with a piece of red meat. For example, I like to serve it on top of a steak or with a piece of pork tenderloin.
But it also tastes delicious with chicken.Print
Homemade low FODMAP peppercorn sauce. Delicious to serve with a meat dish. For example at Christmas dinner. Gluten-free and low in lactose.
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour (I use a gluten-free flour mix, like Schär Mix It Universal)
- 200 ml (6.8 fl. oz.) beef stock
- 100 ml (3.4 fl. oz.) lactose-free cream
- 2 tbsp whisky
- A pinch of salt
- Crush the peppercorns with the side of a large knife or with a mortar.
- Make the stock with the beef stock and 200 ml boiling water. Set aside for a moment.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan.
- Add 2 tbsp gluten-free flour and stir well with a whisk. Let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the stock little by little while stirring well.
- Also add the lactose-free cream and bring the sauce to the boil while continuing to stir.
- Then add the whiskey and the crushed peppercorns.
- Turn the heat down and let the sauce simmer for a few more minutes.
- Taste the sauce and season with a pinch of salt.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Category: Sauzes and condiments
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: Gluten-free peppercorn sauce, low FODMAP peppercorn sauce, lactose-free peppercorn sauce
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen