Low FODMAP French toast casserole
A super festive breakfast and also easy to make: low FODMAP French toast casserole. Served with red fruit and icing sugar.
Delicious to serve with an extensive breakfast, such as Christmas breakfast or Easter brunch. Or just on a lazy weekend morning if you feel like it.
This is how you make the low FODMAP french toast casserole
I choose to use spelt bread for my French toast. 100% spelt bread is low FODMAP.
Do you want to make this recipe gluten-free? Then Schär’s Meisterbäckers bread is a good option.
This bread is gluten-free and FODMAP-certified.
Make the batter for the French toast with:
- Lactose-free milk
- Lactose-free cream
- And as seasonings: vanilla extract, cinnamon, and brown caster sugar
The preparation is super simple: you place the slices of bread in a greased oven dish. Then stir together all the ingredients for the batter and pour it over the bread.
Then place the French toast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Delicious to serve with some fresh red fruit and icing sugar.
Enjoy your meal!Print
A festive breakfast: low FODMAP French toast casserole with red fruits. Delicious with Christmas breakfast. Lactose-free and with a gluten-free option.
- Butter, for greasing
- 10 slices of FODMAP bread (old bread)*
- 4 eggs
- 250 ml (1 cup) lactose-free milk
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) lactose-free cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 60 g brown caster sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- Some red fruit for garnish
- Icing sugar for garnish
- Grease an oven dish with butter.
- Place the slices of bread in the baking dish. If you place the bread slices upright, the bottom of the bread will become nice and soft due to the egg mixture and the top will become crispy. I really like that myself. Do you like it better when all the bread is soft? Then it is better to place the bread slices flat into the baking dish so that they are immersed in the egg mixture.
- Mix eggs, milk, whipped cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish.
- Bake the French toast in the oven for about 45 minutes.
- Before serving, sprinkle with a little icing sugar and garnish with red fruits. Serve hot.
*I use 100% spelt bread in this recipe. 100% spelt bread is low FODMAP. If you want to make this recipe gluten-free, then you can use gluten-free bread. The meisterbäckers bread from Schär is a good gluten-free and low FODMAP option.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: low FODMAP french toast casserole, gluten-free french toast casserole, lactose-free french toast casserole
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen