Low FODMAP Taco Bake with minced meat
I felt like eating nachos for ages. I decided to make a taco bake,though, because I thought that tacos would be more healthy than nacho chips.
But when I checked the nutrition label, it showed to make not much of a difference. The calories, fats, proteins and carbs were almost similar for these two products.
The natural nacho chips from Jumbo (local supermarket) do even have fewer calories than the taco shells. I didn’t expect that!
However, I actually could have known, because it is the same product in a different shape, they are both made of corn flour, sunflower oil and salt. Lesson learned!
So it became a taco oven dish, but it doesn’t matter, also with taco’s the dish was very tasty! Instead of taco’s you can also use nacho chips.
I didn’t use garlic and onion in the recipe because I wanted to make it low FODMAP, but I can imagine that it is really nice.
If you want to add it you can fry the onion before you add the minced meat and add the garlic when you are flavouring the minced meat.Print
I was craving nacho’s for quite a while. That’s why I decided to make a taco oven dish, with taco’s instead of nacho’s. And with grated cheese, mm so good!
- 200 g of minced meat
- 1 red pepper
- 1 bell pepper*
- 200 g diced canned tomatoes*
- cumin, paprika powder, salt, pepper, oregano and chilli pepper, according to your taste (you can also buy pre-made taco seasoning, but I prefer to make it myself)
- 4 taco shells
- 50 g grated cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Fry the meat in a frying pan until it is cooked through.
- In the meantime deseed the red pepper and the bell pepper and cut them into small pieces.
- Season the meat with some salt and pepper and add the vegetables.
- Add the can of tomatoes to the pan and let it simmer for a while.
- Season the sauce with herbs of your choice. I used a mixture of cumin, (smoked) paprika powder, salt, pepper, oregano and pul biber (a kind of chilli pepper).
- Put the mixture into an oven dish. Break the taco shells into pieces and stick them into the mixture. Sprinkle the grated cheese over it.
- Put the dish in the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
*In 2022, the low FODMAP quantities for peppers and tomatoes have been adjusted. Red bell pepper and tomato are both high in fructose in larger quantities and are therefore no longer so easy to combine. If you are still in the elimination phase or know that you react to fructose, I recommend omitting the paprika from this dish.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.