Low FODMAP Mussels in white wine sauce
I saw that the mussels were discounted and then I suddenly realised that it was mussel season! We used to eat mussels quite often when I was little.
Most young kids were horrified by the thought of eating mussels and fish, but my sister and I loved it. My parents would have dinner nights where they would eat mussels with friends and they always planned that we would eat something before and go to bed early, so they could have an evening with their friends.
But when I was about six years old I was already begging my parents to stay up late, so I could eat mussels with them. I realised this week that I didn’t eat mussels for a long time and that I never even prepared them myself. That had to change, so today I have a recipe for low FODMAP mussels in white wine sauce for you!Print
It is mussel season! Delicious low FODMAP mussels in white wine sauce with a homemade sauce. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 2 kilos mussels (how much mussels you need totally depends on how much you eat and if you make any side dishes. I used 1 kilos of mussels per person with potatoes and a salad on the side. You can easily double the recipe if you want to make more)
- Garlic-infused olive oil
- 100 g carrot, in pieces
- Optional: the green bulb of 1/2 leek (I don’t like leek so I left this out)
- 400 ml water
- 100 ml white wine
- Fresh parsley
For the healthy mussel sauce
- 100 ml lactose-free yoghurt
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Lemon juice
- Pepper and salt
- Rinse the mussels well. Remove shells that are open, broken and check if shells that look bigger than the others are not full of sand. Throw those away.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the pieces of carrot and the leek if you use that. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add 200 ml water and 100 ml wine to the pan (if you cook for children, you can replace the wine with more water). Add the mussels and bring to a boil.
- Boil the mussels for about 4-6 minutes. They are done when the shells are open and if you can remove the mussels from the shell easily.
- Add some fresh parsley to the mussels and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the mussel sauce by mixing the yoghurt and the mayonnaise with some lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the mussels with the mussel sauce and some fries!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.