Low FODMAP mushroom cream sauce
Mushroom cream sauce is a very versatile sauce. You can use it as a pasta sauce and it also goes very well with several meat dishes.
I made a low FODMAP mushroom cream sauce with a base of stock and heavy whipping cream. It is so easy to make that you won’t even be sad that you can’t buy it ready made from a package 😉
Normal mushrooms are not low FODMAP, but there are two kinds of mushrooms that are low FODMAP. Canned mushrooms become high in mannitol at 200 gram, so you can eat these safely up to 150 gram per serving.
Oyster mushrooms are also low FODMAP and these become high in FODMAPs at 1 kilogram (!), so you can use these without problems too. For this recipe, I choose to use canned mushrooms, but you can also use oyster mushrooms or a mix of both.Print
A simple low FODMAP mushroom cream sauce. Homemade! Delicious with meat dishes or as a pasta sauce. ✓Gluten-free ✓ Lactose-free ✓ Vegetarian
- 35 g butter
- 250 g canned mushrooms
- 25 g gluten-free flour
- 200 ml stock (use a low FODMAP stock cube)
- 150 ml lactose-free heavy whipping cream
- Heat the butter in a pan.
- Rinse the mushrooms and drain them well.
- Add the mushrooms to the butter and fry them for a few minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the flour while you stir. Stir the flour through the mushrooms.
- Slowly pour the stock into the pan while you keep stirring continuously. Leave the sauce to simmer until it reaches your desired thickness. Stir regularly to avoid the sauce from getting lumpy.
- Finally stir the whipping cream into the sauce and heat for a few more minutes. Season with pepper and salt.
- Great as a pasta sauce or a sauce for meat dishes.
- Prep Time: 20 min
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.