Low FODMAP baked mac and cheese with ham
Oh guys, this recipe makes me so happy! It is not healthy, it doesn’t contain enough veggies, but it is so incredibly good. A low FODMAP baked mac and cheese with ham and mushrooms. When we were kids, my sister and I were crazy about this dish. My mum used to make a large oven dish full of this and we usually completely finished it with the four of us. Crazy enough, I totally forgot about the existence of this recipe for the last few years, but now I suddenly remembered it.
I asked my mum for the recipe and when my mother-in-law and sister-in-law were visiting from Slovenia, their first time in Holland, I served them this meal. It might not be the most Dutch recipe that you can imagine, but it kind of is. Macaroni casseroles are very popular in the Netherlands and we used to eat them quite often when I was young. Everybody loved it and I have already made the casserole two more times in the last two weeks, so that says enough.
This recipe doesn’t contain a lot of vegetables, I only added some canned mushrooms. Because of that I like to serve the mac and cheese with a big salad on the side, so that my meal still contains enough veggies. The dish itself is traditionally like this, without extra vegetables and very cheesy. But if you would like to add some veggies you can of course. Broccoli or paprika goes very well with it.
Will you let me know if you make my low FODMAP baked mac and cheese with ham? I would love it if you share your creations with me!
Low FODMAP baked mac and cheese with ham and mushrooms.The best macaroni casserole ever! Guilty, but so yummy! Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 300 g gluten-free macaroni
- 200 g canned mushrooms*
- 300 g ham, in cubes
- 200 g grated cheese
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- Pepper and salt
- A large oven dish
For the bechamel sauce
- 40 g butter
- 50 g gluten-free flour
- 500 ml lactose-free milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the package.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Add the gluten-free flour and the oregano. Stir well and heat through for a minute.
- Add the lactose-free milk little by little. Add a splash of milk and stir well with a whisk. Then add another splash of milk. Continue until you have used all of the milk and you have a smooth sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and leave to boil for about 3 minutes while you stir regularly.
- Season the bechamel sauce with paprika powder, pepper and salt. Stir 175 gram of the cheese into the sauce. Save the other 25 grams to sprinkle on top of the oven dish later. Leave the sauce to simmer for one more minute and then turn off the heat.
- Rinse the mushrooms and drain them.
- Put the macaroni together with the ham and the mushrooms in the oven dish.
- Pour the bechamel sauce on top and stir together. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- Put the oven dish for 15 minutes in the oven and then serve immediately.
*Normal mushrooms are not low FODMAP. Canned mushrooms are low FODMAP up to 200 g per serving. Oyster mushrooms are also low FODMAP, so you can use those too.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min