Spaghetti carbonara is a real Italian classic. When I was on my holiday in Italy at the end of July, I ate a gluten-free spaghetti carbonara in a restaurant and I realised that I never made this dish myself. So it is about time for a low FODMAP spaghetti carbonara!
Luckily you don’t need to adapt the original recipe much to make it low FODMAP. Italian recipes are known for their simplicity and pure ingredients. It always amazes me how Italians can make a fantastic dish with only a few ingredients. In Rome, I once ate pasta cacio e pepe. Literally translated this means cheese and pepper and that are the only ingredients in the pasta. The best pasta I ever ate. That was I lesson that I have never forgotten: you don’t have to stuff your dishes with many different ingredients to make something good. A few ingredients often suffice.
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP spaghetti carbonara? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
A real Italian classic! Low FODMAP spaghetti carbonara made with egg yolk, bacon, black pepper and parmesan cheese. Also gluten-free.
- 160 g (5.5 oz) gluten-free pasta
- 100–150 g (3.5 to 5 oz) bacon (officially spaghetti carbonara is made with pancetta. I choose the easy way and used diced bacon)
- 40 g (1.4 oz) parmesan cheese + extra for serving
- 3 egg yolks
- Black pepper
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the package in water with a pinch of salt.
- Stir the egg yolks and the parmesan cheese together with a fork and add some black pepper.
- Bake the bacon for about 4 minutes in a frying pan.
- Drain the pasta and save some of the cooking water.
- Add the pasta to the bacon and stir everything together well.
- Take the pan off the heat and add a splash of cooking water to the pasta. Stir together and add the egg mixture to the pasta. Stir this together well and add some more black pepper. Because the pan is still warm, but not too hot, the egg mixture will cook slowly instead of turning the eggs into scrambled eggs. That’s not what we want ;). Add a bit more cooking water if necessary. Your pasta carbonara is done when you get a beautiful glossy pasta.
- Serve the pasta with some more parmesan and black pepper.
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: low FODMAP spaghetti carbonara, low FODMAP pasta carbonara, gluten-free pasta carbonara
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!