Low FODMAP carrot rice nasi goreng
Some time ago, I joined a research for the SIBO diet. This is a diet that can also help for people with IBS and they were researching how the effect of following this diet for a few weeks would be.
It was even more limited than the low FODMAP diet and the researcher sent us recipes we could use during the elimination phase.
One of the recipes that I received was a recipe for carrot rice. You might know cauliflower rice. This has been popular for quite a while.
You simply put cauliflower into a food processor and turn it into fine crumbs. These crumbs are used instead of rice and serve as a low carb version of rice. Carrot rice is made in the same way.
When I read the recipe, I knew immediately that I wanted to try it. It didn’t really sound appealing to me, but I was very curious.
I experimented with it and from that came this recipe. It does taste very different than normal rice, a lot sweeter, but when you season it well, I find it very tasty.
I am curious if you have ever made carrot rice and if you would try this recipe!Print
Recently I got a recipe for carrot rice. I made this low FODMAP carrot rice nasi goreng with it. Very special, but tasty! Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 400 g carrots
- 300 g pork meat, I used pork shoulder. You can also use chicken breast if you prefer that.
- 1 green bell pepper
- 120 g tomato
- 2 eggs
- Optional: cucumber
For the seasoning
- 2 tsp tamarind paste (usually sold in Asian sections of supermarkets or in an Asian supermarket)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pepper and salt
- Peel the carrots and cut them into a few pieces. Put the carrots into the food processor and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Put aside.
- Fry the pork meat until done on both sides. Season with pepper and salt. Cut the pieces of meat into small cubes and remove the bone.
- Cut the tomatoes and bell pepper into pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the tomatoes and bell pepper until softened. Add the pork meat and fry for a minute too.
- Add the carrot rice and all spices to the pan. Stir everything together and bake the carrot rice for a few minutes. Taste and add some more spices if necessary.
- Add some oil to another pan and fry the two eggs.
- Serve the carrot rice nasi goreng with an egg and optionally some cucumber on the side.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 445
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Fiber: 6
- Protein: 38
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.