Vegan Polenta Pizza
In my vegan week, I made a very special pizza: a polenta pizza. Pizza with a polenta crust. The idea of a vegan pizza without grated cheese or mozzarella didn’t sound appealing to me, I must admit, but this polenta pizza was very good.
The crust of a polenta pizza will be quite soft. Therefore you can’t hold the slices of pizza in your hand as you would do with a regular pizza. It is smarter to use knife and fork 😉
If you don’t eat vegan, you can add grated cheese, mozzarella or fish or meat to your pizza, if you prefer. You can vary with the topping as much as you like. I could eat twice from this pizza.
Once as a light dinner (I was not hungry at all) and the other half I ate for lunch. The entire pizza is only 400 calories, so you could also eat the entire pizza for dinner.Print
Vegan polenta pizza with mushrooms, bell pepper, olives and tomato sauce. The crust of the pizza is made with polenta. Low FODMAP, gluten-free, lactose-free
For the pizza crust
- 80 g polenta
- 400 ml water
- 75 ml unsweetened almond milk
- Fresh rosemary
- Pepper and salt
For the topping
- 100 ml canned tomato / tomato passata
- 100 g canned mushrooms (contrary to normal mushrooms, canned mushrooms are low FODMAP up to 150 g per portion)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 40 g black olives
- Italian herbs
- Pepper and salt
- Put the water and the almond milk together in a pan and bring to boil. Add the polenta when the water starts boiling. Stir while you add the polenta, so no lumps are formed. Add a bit of salt. Lower the heat and leave the polenta to boil for about 20 minutes. Stir now and then.
- Make the sauce by putting the tomato passata in a bowl and add salt, pepper and Italian herbs to it. Stir together.
- Stir the rosemary through the polenta when it is almost cooked. Taste the polenta and add some salt and pepper if necessary.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Divide the polenta over the baking sheet. Make sure you get an equal layer and press the crust onto the baking sheet with the back of a spoon.
- Spread the tomato sauce over the polenta crust.
- Bake the crust with the sauce for 15 minutes in the oven.
- Drain the mushroom and cut the bell pepper in pieces and the olives in slices.
- Divide the topping over the polenta pizza and bake it for another 15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 418
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 74
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 10
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.