Low FODMAP vegetable soup
I love cooking, but for some dishes, I am always postponing making them. I really like soup, it is a great dish to take to work, but it also makes a perfect light dinner. Despite all that, I never feel like making it. It always feels like a hassle, like too much work. And that was the same for this vegetable soup. Vegetable soup is one of my favourite soups, but in four years of blogging I never actually made a low FODMAP vegetable soup with meatballs. When I finally got around to making it, it was so simple to make and I had a pan full of soup on the table within 40 minutes. That was an extra reminder to me that it is super simple to make homemade soup. I don’t know why I don’t do this more often. It was delicious!
I choose to make very simple meatballs from mixed minced meat (half pork, half beef) with ground paprika, pepper and salt. You can also choose to make the meatballs with only minced beef. Or, if you rather have a vegetarian or vegan vegetable soup, you can leave the meatballs out.
For the stock, I use stock cubes. It is important to check that the stock cubes that you use don’t contain any garlic or onion.
Spring onion and leek are both low FODMAP, but you can only use the green parts. The white parts are high in fructans and should therefore be avoided. A handy tip: you can put the leftover white parts of the spring onion into a glass of water. Then they will sprout again and new green stalks of spring onion will grow. Like this you can easily regrow your spring onion.
I choose to use bell pepper, carrot, leek and canned mushrooms for this soup, but you can easily add some more low FODMAP veggies or add different veggies if you don’t like the ones I used.
Will you let me know if you have tried my low FODMAP vegetable soup? I would love to hear what you think!Print
A quick low FODMAP vegetable soup with meatballs. Good for lunch or dinner and ready in 40 minutes! Gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan option.
- 200 g minced meat (I used half pork, half beef)
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- Pepper and salt
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 large carrot
- The green part of one leek
- Optional: 150 g canned mushrooms
- A few stalks spring onion, only the green part
- 1 liter water
- 2 stock cubes
- Fresh parsley
- Mix the minced meat with 1 tsp ground paprika, pepper and salt. Roll the meat into very small balls and put them onto a plate. Set aside.
- Cut the bell pepper and the carrot into small pieces. Also chop up the green part of the leek and the spring onions and chop some fresh parsley.
- Heat some oil in the soup pan. Fry the paprika, carrot and leek for a few minutes.
- Add one liter water, the stock cubes, the spring onions and the parsley. Bring the soup to a boil and leave to boil for at least 15 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and leave to boil for another 10 minutes, so the meatballs can cook.
- Taste the soup and season with salt and pepper.
You can keep the soup for two days in the fridge. Leave the soup to cool down completely and then store it into a closed box in the fridge. You can also freeze the soup, then you can store it for a longer time.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!