Low FODMAP moussaka
Greek moussaka, a dish that my mum used to make regularly for us when I was younger. She usually used a package to make it because then it didn’t take so much time to make.
When I was researching the recipe for low FODMAP moussaka, I found out that moussaka can be quite a time-consuming recipe to make.
It isn’t difficult, but it has quite a lot of ingredients that you have to prepare separately from each other and the recipe contains quite a lot of ingredients.
Because my goal is to make low FODMAP cooking easy, I wanted to keep this moussaka recipe as simple as possible and I managed to do that!
The ingredients are easy to find and it will take you about half an hour to prepare the dish.
After that, you will put the low FODMAP moussaka into the oven for 45 minutes and you don’t have to look at it anymore!Print
Low FODMAP moussaka
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Servings: 4 1x
Low FODMAP moussaka! Greek moussaka that is simple to prepare. Prepared in 30 min preparation and 45 min in the oven. This moussaka is also gluten-free and low lactose.
- 600 g (21.2) eggplant
- 300 g (10.6 oz) lean minced meat
- 400 g (14.1 oz) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- An oven dish
For the bechamel sauce (white sauce)
- 40 g (1.4 oz) butter
- 40 g (1.4 oz) gluten-free flour
- 400 (14.1 oz) ml lactose-free milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 60 g (2.1 oz) grated cheese
- Heat a frying pan and add the minced meat. Fry until fully cooked and season with 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp basil and pepper and salt.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Stir everything together and leave to simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into very thin slices. You won’t cook the potatoes before you put them into the oven, so it is important to cut them in thin slices. Put aside.
- Cut the eggplant in slices in the length and brush them with oil on both sides. Bake the eggplant shortly on a grill or in a grill pan until the slices have softened and get brown stripes on both sides.
- Heat for the butter in a pan for the bechamel sauce. Add the flour when the butter has melted. Stir with a whisk and leave the flour to cook for a few minutes, while you stir regularly.
- Add the milk little by little while you keep stirring with the whisk. Leave the sauce to heat up and let it simmer for a few minutes until it gets thicker. Stir now and then to avoid lumps. Taste and season with pepper, salt and half a teaspoon nutmeg. Stir the cheese into the sauce.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Take the oven dish and put a layer of potato slices on the bottom. Put a layer of eggplant slices on top.
- Divide half of the minced meat tomato sauce over the eggplant. Cover this with another layer of potato slices and eggplant slices. Spread the other half of the minced meat sauce on top. Finish with the bechamel sauce and smoothen the sauce with a spatula.
- Bake the moussaka in the oven for 45 minutes.
Note: eggplant is low FODMAP up to 150 g per serving and canned tomatoes are low FODMAP up to 100 g per serving. Therefore it is important that you stick to the suggested serving size and eat a maximum of 1/4th of the total recipe as a meal.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
Hi,Can this moussaka recipe be frozen
Yes, i think that will work! Just freeze it in a closed plastic or glass box that is freezer-proof.