Low FODMAP gravy
If you eat low FODMAP, making your own gravy with a bag of gravy powder is not possible anymore. It almost always contains wheat flour and onion. And other additives that are not always low FODMAP.
Fortunately, you can also easily make low FODMAP gravy yourself. Without additives, which also makes it healthier. It only takes a few minutes. So actually making it yourself is just a win-win.
Making gravy without meat
For this recipe, I chose to make gravy without meat. Meat gravy is made from the fat that remains after frying meat.
If you want to make gravy without meat, for example, because you do not have meat around or because you are making a vegetarian dish, you can do so with a simple roux.
In this recipe, you make a roux from butter, gluten-free flour, and stock. I also use a bay leaf, salt, and pepper to season the gravy.
I use beef stock in this recipe. If you want to make the gravy vegetarian, you can go for vegetable stock.Print
A recipe to make homemade low FODMAP gravy. Without needing meat and made from scratch. Vegetarian option and gluten-free.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 6 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 750 ml low FODMAP beef stock*
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- A pinch of salt
- Heat the butter in a saucepan.
- When the butter has melted, add flour. Fry this for 2 minutes while stirring regularly.
- Pour the stock into the pan little by little, while stirring very well with a whisk. This way you prevent lumps.
- Add the rest of the stock and stir well. Also add a bay leaf and season with pepper and possibly a little salt (the stock is already salty, so this is often not necessary).
- Let the gravy thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
*Use vegetable stock if you want to make this recipe vegetarian.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Cooking
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: low FODMAP gravy, gluten-free gravy, lactose-free gravy
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen