Low FODMAP green bean casserole
I have a low FODMAP green bean casserole recipe for you.
I made a creamy green bean casserole with a homemade white sauce, oyster mushrooms, lots of green beans, and grated cheese on top.
Delicious for Thanksgiving dinner, but it also works well as a side dish for Christmas.
Or you can use this dish as a sauce and serve it with rice or pasta as a main meal.
How to make green bean casserole
Green bean casserole is often made with green beans, a can of creamy mushroom soup (which is used as cream for the dish), and fried onions to top the dish.
As a Dutchie, for me, using soup as a sauce sounds a bit strange. Also, if you follow the low FODMAP diet, this is not really an option. Because canned soups usually contain a lot of FODMAPs.
Therefore I made my own white sauce for this green bean casserole.
The ingredients of the casserole
What do you need? I used:
- Green beans: note that green beans are only low FODMAP to a limited extent. Servings of 125 grams or more contain an average amount of sorbitol. I therefore used 300 grams of green beans for 4 people.
- Mushrooms: only a few types of mushrooms are low FODMAP. You can use canned mushrooms or oyster mushrooms. I chose oyster mushrooms because I like fresh mushrooms better than canned.
- Stock: you use this for the white sauce.
- Lactose-free milk: this is also for the white sauce. I used lactose-free cow’s milk.
- Butter: you also use this for the white sauce. Butter is low FODMAP and contains hardly any lactose. You can replace this with margarine if you can’t eat butter.
- Gluten-free flour: the last ingredient of the white sauce. I use Schär Mix It Universal.
For the topping
Green bean casserole normally has a topping of crunchy fried onions. That is, of course not an option if you eat low FODMAP. I topped my casserole with grated cheese.
I think grated cheese is a very good option to top a creamy casserole.
But there are also some other toppings you can choose from:
- Nuts: take some low FODMAP nuts, such as pecans, and crumble them over the casserole.
- Gluten-free and low FODMAP breadcrumbs: spread a thin layer of breadcrumbs over the oven dish before you put it in the oven.
- Natural chips: may sound a bit crazy, but they are nice and crunchy. Break some natural chips into small pieces and divide them over the casserole before serving.
- Croutons: take some gluten-free and/or low FODMAP bread and cut it into cubes. Place in a bowl with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. How much oil you need depends on how much bread you use.
Use enough oil to distribute it evenly over all the pieces of bread, but it should not be too wet.
Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the croutons on top. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). Bake the croutons in the oven for 12-14 minutes. Shake briefly halfway through the baking time.
Spread the croutons over the oven dish 5 minutes before the end of the baking time and bake for 5 minutes.
Low FODMAP casserole with green beans. A tasty side dish. Gluten-free and low in lactose.
- 300 g (10.6 oz) green beans
- 175 g (6.2 oz) oyster mushrooms
- 3 stalks of spring onion, the green part only
- 20 g (0.7 oz) gluten-free flour
- 450 ml (15 oz) lactose-free milk
- 30 g (1.1 oz) butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Optional: 40 g (1.4 oz) grated cheese (I used grated cheddar)
- Wash the green beans. Cut the ends off the green beans and cut them in half.
- Boil the green beans for 6 minutes until done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Clean the oyster mushrooms and cut into pieces.
- Heat 10 g of the butter in a pan. Add the oyster mushrooms. Fry for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the green beans and oyster mushrooms in an oven dish.
- Heat the rest of the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the gluten-free flour and fry for 2 minutes while stirring.
- Then pour the milk into the pan little by little, while stirring with a whisk. Bring the milk to a boil and boil the mixture for about 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour the white sauce into the oven dish with the green beans and stir everything through.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese if you like. This is optional.
- Place the oven dish in the oven for 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lactose-free green bean casserole, low FODMAP green bean casserole, gluten-free green bean casserole
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen