A traybake is a dish that I have never shared on my blog before, while it is the perfect quick and easy dish. If you follow my blog for a while, you might know that those are my favourite kind of recipes. And if I look at the blog’s statistics, I see that they are your favourites too! So, it was about time that I shared the first traybake recipe on my blog. I made a low FODMAP chicken traybake with a Greek vibe!
The thing that I love about traybakes is that you simply put all the ingredients on a baking tray or sheet, put it into the oven. Then you just let the oven do its work and your meal is ready within 30 to 60 minutes. The preparation doesn’t cost much time and you don’t have a lot of dishes to do afterwards. So it is a win-win-win! I love dishes like these after a busy working day.
The ingredients of the chicken traybake
- Chicken thigh: I used chicken thigh instead of chicken breast because I find that this has a little more flavour and therefore I like it more in an oven dish. But if you have chicken breast, you can use that too.
- Grilled veggies: next to chicken, this traybake has a lot of veggies. In this dish, I chose to use bell peppers, eggplant and cherry tomatoes. Eggplant is limited low FODMAP up to 75 gram per serving. Cherry tomatoes contain an average amount of fructans at 220 gram per serving. I use 75 gram of eggplant per serving and 75 gram of cherry tomatoes. If you tolerate sorbitol well, you could use a little more eggplant. Do you have any other low FODMAP vegetables that you need to finish, such as carrots? You can add those too to the traybake!
- Small potatoes: I used small unpeeled potatoes, that I cleaned and cut into 4 or 6 (depending on the size) wedges.
- Feta: crumbled feta from the oven, yum! That makes this dish extra tasty. Because this is a low budget recipe, I used the cheaper version of feta, simply called “white cheese” here. Of course, you can also use real feta.
- Black olives: no Greek traybake without olives! If you don’t like olives, you can leave them out though.
The cost for this recipe
I always share the cost for the recipe with my low budget recipes. I always try to have to cost per meal of my low budget recipes below €2,50 per serving. Note that I am in the Netherlands and therefore the prices might differ when you are in a different country. I calculate the costs that you pay for an entire package. Usually you don’t use the the entire package, so that makes the actual costs per serving even lower. But if you don’t have a product in your pantry yet, you will have to buy it anyway and that’s why I always calculate the price for the entire package instead of just the amount that you use for this recipe:
- Chicken thigh, 350 g: €2,65
- Small potatoes, 1 kilo: €1,99
- Eggplant, 1: €0,79
- Bell peppers, package of 3: €1,69
- Cherry tomatoes, 250 g: €0,55
- White cheese, 200 g: €0,99
- Black olives, 240 g: €0,99
Total: €9,65 / €2,41 per person
From the pantry:
- Olive oil
- Ground paprika
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP chicken traybake? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.
A simple low FODMAP chicken traybake with a Greek vibe. With potatoes, bell pepper, eggplant, tomatoes, olives and feta. Gluten-free and low lactose
- 350 g (12.3 oz) chicken thigh
- 600 g (21.1 oz) small potatoes
- 2 bell peppers
- 250 g (8.8 oz) cherry tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 100 g (3.5 oz) olives
- 100 g (3.5 oz) white cheese (budget feta)
For the marinade
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Clean the tomatoes, bell pepper and eggplant. Cut the bell peppers into strips and the eggplant into thin slices
- Cover a large baking sheet with baking parchment. Stir all ingredients for the marinade together in a bowl.
- Clean the potatoes and remove spots. Cut into 4 or 6 wedges (depending on the size of the potato).
- Put the vegetables and potatoes in a bowl and pour 1/2 of the marinade on top. Stir well. Brush 1/4 of the marinade over the pieces of chicken thigh. Put the rest of the marinade aside for later.
- Divide the chicken over the baking tray and put the vegetables and potatoes around it.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Give everything a stir halfway through the baking time. Divide the feta and the olives over the baking sheet after 30 minutes and put the sheet back into the oven for 10 minutes. Check if the chicken is done, otherwise bake it a bit longer until the chicken is not pink anymore.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe)
- Calories: 530
- Fat: 37
- Carbohydrates: 31
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 26
Keywords: low FODMAP chicken traybake, low FODMAP traybake, Greek traybake
Samen gaan we voor buikpijnvrij!
Schrijf je in voor de Karlijn's Kitchen nieuwsbrief en ontvang mijn gratis e-book met 10 onmisbare tips voor FODMAP beginners!