Low FODMAP Italian lasagna casserole
A few weeks I got a nice comment from a reader that she loved my Mexican casserole with corn tortillas so much.
The casserole slipped my mind already, but because of her comment, I thought that I could make a similar recipe again.
I decided to give an Italian twist to the recipe and to make it an Italian lasagna casserole.
On the Sunday that I made this dish it was rainy all day, so, even though it is June, a perfect moment for a casserole. And even if it is warm, lasagna is always good!
Instead of lasagna sheets, I used corn tortillas in my Italian lasagna casserole. I also used them in the Mexican casserole and I liked that idea so much that I wanted to try it again.
Corn tortillas are less soft and a bit thicker than lasagna sheets, but I love it in this dish. It gives an extra bite.
I made the sauce for the lasagna with tomato purée and chicken stock. This is a perfect replacement for traditional tomato sauce.
Because you bind the sauce with some flour it gets the same thickness as a tomato sauce and because many Fodmappers do not tolerate tomato sauce well, this is a perfect replacement.
Next to the sauce I also add tomato and eggplant to the lasagna and of course mozzarella and cheese!
I call this dish a lasagna casserole because I didn’t bother with layers. I have just thrown everything together in a pan and put it in an oven dish afterwards. Very easy and just as good!Print
- 350 g lean minced meat
- 8 corn tortilla’s
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tomato
- 1 mozzarella
- 50 g grated (light) cheese
- Optional: fresh basil
For the sauce
- 500 ml chicken stock (or another low FODMAP stock)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 can tomato purée (70 gram)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add the flour and stir through.
- Add the herbs, the stock and the tomato purée and stir everything together with a whisk until you get a smooth sauce. Bring the sauce to boil and leave it to boil on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fry the minced meat in another pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the tomato and the eggplant in slices. Cut them in halves and add them to the minced meat. Bake until softened.
- Add the tomato sauce to the meat and the vegetables.
- Cut the corn tortillas into pieces and add them to the sauce. Stir everything together and leave the sauce to simmer for a few minutes on medium heat. Finally, stir in the grated cheese.
- Put the lasagna in an oven dish. Cut the mozzarella into slices and put these on top of the lasagna. Put the Italian lasagna casserole in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve with fresh basil.
Mozzarella is low FODMAP up to 60 grams per portion. If you are very sensitive to lactose you can also use lactose-free mozzarella if available. I use the brand MinusL (available several European countries)
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.