Oven-roasted carrot, parsnip & sweet potato
Thinking up side dishes is my least favorite part when preparing a 3-course dinner. Especially since we are rather limited in the amounts of vegetables that we can eat on the FODMAP diet, it isn’t easy to come up with a suitable vegetable side dish.
But now I have a delicious and easy recipe for you. A low FODMAP vegetable side dish with oven-roasted carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato from the oven!
Low FODMAP serving sizes
Carrots and parsnips are both vegetables that are low FODMAP in large quantities. That is great for a several-course dinner where you will probably eat different dishes.
At the time of writing, Monash University indicates that carrot remains low FODMAP up to a 500-gram serving.
With parsnip, the app indicates that no FODMAPs have been found in this product and that you can eat it unlimited.
Sweet potato is limited low FODMAP. A portion of 75 grams is low FODMAP. A serving of 100 grams of sweet potato contains an average amount of mannitol.
If you already eat other products that also contain mannitol during your dinner, you have to be careful with this. You can also choose to use regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes.
Regular potatoes are low FODMAP in larger servings.
An easy low FODMAP vegetable side dish
This is a nice inexpensive side dish: carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato are all fairly inexpensive ingredients. If you replace sweet potato with regular potato, this recipe is even more budget-proof.
Apart from peeling and cutting vegetables and potatoes, this is a very easy dish. You throw everything in the oven, be patient, and your side dish is ready 🙂Print
A delicious low FODMAP side dish with oven-baked vegetables. With carrot, parsnip, and sweet potato. Perfect for Christmas or Thanksgiving. Gluten-free, lactose-free and vegetarian.
- 6 medium carrots (about 250 g or 8.8 oz when peeled)
- 4 parsnips (about 250 g or 8.8 oz when peeled)
- 300 grams (10.6 oz) sweet potato
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 F).
- Peel the carrots, parsnips, and sweet potatoes.
- Cut into strips of approximately equal size and thickness. Put in a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil to this. Strip the thyme and rosemary leaves from the twigs and add them.
- Finally, add 1/2 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp salt and stir everything together well.
- Cover a baking tray with baking paper and divide the vegetables and sweet potato over it.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes until everything is soft and slightly browned. If the vegetables are not soft enough, you can bake them for 5 minutes longer.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: low FODMAP vegetable side dish, gluten-free vegetable side dish, oven-baked carrots, oven-baked parsnips
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen