Low FODMAP chicken and spinach gnocchi
Some time ago I bought gluten-free gnocchi from Schär. I already tried it during my holiday at Lake Garda this summer and as I love gnocchi I wanted to prepare it at home too.
Luckily there is gluten-free gnocchi that tastes just as good as normal gnocchi, so we can enjoy it too! I made a very tasty low FODMAP chicken and spinach gnocchi with a creamy sauce.
Creamy lactose-free pasta sauce
To make a creamy lactose-free pasta sauce for this recipe, I made a lactose-free bechamel sauce. And that is a lot easier than you think!
You only need butter, gluten-free flour and lactose-free milk and then you have made your own creamy sauce within minutes.
Butter is very low in lactose and is therefore tolerated by most people with a lactose intolerance. Are you very sensitive to lactose?
Then you can replace the butter by lactose-free margarine (make sure to check that no high FODMAP ingredients have been added).
Don’t feel like making your own sauce? Then you can also use a store-bought lactose-free cream sauce. Here in the Netherlands, we have a rice-based cream sauce from the brand Alpro, an oat-based cream sauce from the brand Oatly and lactose-free cooking cream.
I am still beyond stoked that canned mushrooms are low FODMAP. Mushrooms really give a dish something extra for me and I love them in this gnocchi. Yum! You should really try it!
If you are not a fan of canned mushrooms, you can also use oyster mushrooms. These are low FODMAP too.Print
Low FODMAP chicken and spinach gnocchi with a homemade lactose-free bechamel sauce (white sauce). Gluten-free and
- 250 g (1/2 pound) gluten-free gnocchi
- 200 g (7 oz) chicken thigh, in pieces
- 100 g (1/2 cup) fresh spinach
- 100 g (1 1/3 cup) canned mushrooms*
For the bechamel sauce
- 20 g (1 1/2 tbsp) gluten-free flour
- 10 g (3/4 tbsp) butter or lactose-free margarine
- 100 ml (1 cup + 1 tbsp) lactose-free milk
- 30 g (1/3 cup) grated cheese + extra to sprinkle on top**
- Bring a pan with water to boil.
- Heat some oil or baking spray in a pan and fry the chicken thigh until the pieces are done on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the bechamel sauce by heating the butter in a small pan. Stir in the flour and leave to cook for a few minutes while stirring carefully. Lower the heat and add the milk bit by bit, while you continue stirring with a whisk. Don’t add the milk too quickly because otherwise your sauce will get lumpy. I usually use about 100 ml milk, but if I think the sauce isn’t thick enough or it is too little, I add some more milk. Bring the sauce to a boil, when you have added all the milk, and boil it on low heat for about three minutes while you continue stirring. Finally, add the grated cheese to the bechamel sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach to the chicken and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry shortly.
- Finally, add the bechamel sauce to the chicken and stir everything together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Boil the gnocchi for about 2 minutes. The gnocchi is done when they come floating to the surface.
- Drain the gnocchi and stir them into the sauce.
- Serve the gnocchi with some extra grated cheese.
*Normal mushrooms are not low FODMAP, but canned mushrooms are. At 200 g per serving they contain an average amount of mannitol. Therefore, I advise a maximum amount of 150 g canned mushrooms per serving.
**Yellow cheeses are very low in lactose and therefore most people with a lactose-intolerance can tolerate them. If you are very sensitive to lactose and don’t tolerate any cheese, you can leave this out.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Category: Diner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/2)
- Calories: 533
- Fat: 19
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 36
Keywords: gnocchi, gnocchi with chicken and spinach, creamy gnocchi, gluten-free gnocchi
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Laat je het me weten als je dit recept gemaakt hebt? Ik zou het heel leuk vinden als je me laat weten wat je van het recept vindt door hieronder een reactie en een rating achter te laten. Je kunt ook je creaties met me delen op Instagram door de hashtag #karlijnskitchen te gebruiken of door mij te taggen via @karlijnskitchen.