Low FODMAP chicken and spinach gnocchi with a homemade lactose-free bechamel sauce (white sauce). Gluten-free and
- 250 g (1/2 pound) gluten-free gnocchi
- 200 g (7 oz) chicken thigh, in pieces
- 100 g (1/2 cup) fresh spinach
- 100 g (1 1/3 cup) canned mushrooms*
For the bechamel sauce
- 20 g (1 1/2 tbsp) gluten-free flour
- 10 g (3/4 tbsp) butter or lactose-free margarine
- 100 ml (1 cup + 1 tbsp) lactose-free milk
- 30 g (1/3 cup) grated cheese + extra to sprinkle on top**
- Bring a pan with water to boil.
- Heat some oil or baking spray in a pan and fry the chicken thigh until the pieces are done on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the bechamel sauce by heating the butter in a small pan. Stir in the flour and leave to cook for a few minutes while stirring carefully. Lower the heat and add the milk bit by bit, while you continue stirring with a whisk. Don’t add the milk too quickly because otherwise your sauce will get lumpy. I usually use about 100 ml milk, but if I think the sauce isn’t thick enough or it is too little, I add some more milk. Bring the sauce to a boil, when you have added all the milk, and boil it on low heat for about three minutes while you continue stirring. Finally, add the grated cheese to the bechamel sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach to the chicken and fry for about 2-3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry shortly.
- Finally, add the bechamel sauce to the chicken and stir everything together. Season with salt and pepper.
- Boil the gnocchi for about 2 minutes. The gnocchi is done when they come floating to the surface.
- Drain the gnocchi and stir them into the sauce.
- Serve the gnocchi with some extra grated cheese.
*Normal mushrooms are not low FODMAP, but canned mushrooms are. At 200 g per serving they contain an average amount of mannitol. Therefore, I advise a maximum amount of 150 g canned mushrooms per serving.
**Yellow cheeses are very low in lactose and therefore most people with a lactose-intolerance can tolerate them. If you are very sensitive to lactose and don’t tolerate any cheese, you can leave this out.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Category: Diner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/2)
- Calories: 533
- Fat: 19
- Carbohydrates: 52
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 36
Keywords: gnocchi, gnocchi with chicken and spinach, creamy gnocchi, gluten-free gnocchi