Low FODMAP beef with broccoli and rice in soy sauce
I thought it was about time to the low-budget category on my blog back to life.
I started this category a few years back because people often told me that they found the low FODMAP diet so expensive and I got asked if I could also share low budget low FODMAP recipes on my blog.
Also with a small budget, it is possible to make tasty low FODMAP meals and I would like to inspire you for that with these recipes.
We are kicking off with a delicious stir-fry recipe: beef with broccoli and rice in soy sauce!
The guidelines that I use for my low-budget recipes is that a dish maximally costs €2.50 per person. I am in the Netherlands, so the total cost for the dish may differ if you are in a different country.
This recipe is a super simple stir-fry recipe. I use either lean beef steak burgers that I chop into pieces or beef stir fry strips. I fry those and at the same time boil the rice and broccoli.
I add canned mushrooms to the beef and a homemade lightly spicy and sweet soy sauce. When this is done, you add the broccoli and serve it with the rice. This dish is ready within 20 minutes.
My boyfriend and I both loved this dish! Since I made it for the first time, we have eaten it almost every week. It is an ideal dish to make quickly on a weekday ánd it is tasty.
This shows that low budget doesn’t mean boring 😉
The costs for this recipe
Note that I am in the Netherlands and that the prices are probably different if you are in another country. I count the price for the entire package that you have to buy.
Often, you don’t use the entire package for the recipe, so you can use some of the ingredients for another meal too. The actual costs per meal are even lower then!
The reason that I count the price of the package is because you will have to buy an entire package if you don’t have it in your pantry yet:
- Lean beef steak burgers, 4 pieces: €3,99
- Brown rice, 1 package of 400 g: €0,79
- Soy sauce, 1 bottle of 200 ml: €1,99 (use gluten-free soy sauce if you have to eat strictly gluten-free, for the low FODMAP diet this is not necessary)
- Broccoli, frozen, 450 g: €1,15
- Canned mushrooms, 2 x 280 g: €1,18
- Sambal oelek, 1 bottle of 280 g: €0,60
Total: €9,70 / €2,42 per person
From the pantry:
- White wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Corn starch
- Brown sugar
Broccoli and FODMAPs
Note that broccoli contains the FODMAP fructose and has a maximum serving size.
The fructose content in broccoli is higher in the broccoli stalks than in the broccoli heads, so I advise using broccoli heads.
You can read more about FODMAPs and broccoli and how this works for different types of broccoli in this blog.Print
A low budget low FODMAP recipe: beef with broccoli and rice in soy sauce! A super simple stir-fry recipe. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 400 g (14 oz) lean beef steak burgers or 400 g beef stir fry strips
- 600 g (21 oz) broccoli heads (I used frozen broccoli)
- 400 g (14 oz) canned mushrooms
- 300 g (10.5 oz) brown rice
- Optional: 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Optional: 2 stalks of spring onion, the green part
For the sauce
- 55 g (1/4 cup) soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce if you have to eat strictly gluten-free. This is not necessary for the low FODMAP diet)
- 50 g (1/4 cup) water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sambal oelek (this will make the sauce a little spicy, use 1/2 tsp if you don’t like spicy)
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- Bring a pan with water to boil. Boil the rice and broccoli with a pinch of salt. The broccoli has to cook for 5-6 minutes. I add the rice first and follow the instructions on the package. When the rice has 6 minutes left to boil, I add the broccoli.
- Cut the lean beef steak burgers into pieces. Heat some oil in a pan and fry them until done.
- Rinse the mushrooms well and drain them. Add to the beef and fry for 3 minutes.
- Make the sauce by adding all ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl and stir. Add to the beef and leave to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drain the rice and broccoli.
- Add the broccoli to the sauce and stir.
- Divide the rice over 4 plates and scoop the beef-broccoli sauce on top. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and rings of spring onion.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/4)
- Calories: 560
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 56
- Fiber: 8
- Protein: 37
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.