Low FODMAP shrimp spring roll bowl with cilantro and mint
Since I ate spring rolls a few times in the past weeks at the new food market in my town, I fell in love with them again.
The combination of fresh herbs, lots of vegetables and shrimps in a spring roll and that dipped in fish sauce is something I think tastes amazing. I just hate making spring rolls myself.
I find dipping the sheets in water and rolling them such a hassle and that is why I hardly ever make them. BUT I have found the perfect solution for this!
I made a shrimp spring roll bowl with cilantro and mint! All the good of a spring roll, in a bowl, without hassle. And man, this is SO GOOD!
When buying the ingredients for this recipe I found a large Turkish supermarket in the shopping centre where I always buy my groceries.
I am not sure what this is like in other countries, but in Turkish supermarkets in the Netherlands, you can buy fresh ingredients for very low prices.
I bought a huge bunch of fresh cilantro and a bunch of fresh mint for 35 cents each (in a normal supermarket I pay at least 5 times as much for a lot less) ánd I bought half a kilo of frozen shrimps for 5 euros. Finds like these make me very happy!Print
A divine shrimp spring roll bowl with cilantro and mint. Spring rolls, but without the hassle! Low FODMAP, gluten-free and lactose-free.
For the spring roll bowl
- 120 g thin rice noodles
- 200 g shrimps (I used frozen shrimps)
- 100 g carrot julienne
- 200 g cucumber, in slices
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/4 avocado, in cubes*
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint
- A small handful of peanuts
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pepper and salt
- Thaw the shrimps, if you use frozen shrimps.
- Boil the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Cut the cucumber into slices, the bell pepper into strips and the avocado into cubes and chop the fresh herbs with a large knife. You can decide for yourself how much herbs you will use. For me, it is always: the more the better.
- Fry the shrimps for about 5 minutes in a pan with a bit of oil.
- Drain the rice noodles well and divide over two bowls.
- Put the cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, avocado and fresh herbs into the bowls to and stir everything together.
- Stir the ingredients for the dressing together and divide them over the two bowls.
- Put the shrimps into the bowls, chop the peanuts and sprinkle the pieces on top.
*Monash University tested a portion of 1/8th avocado to be low FODMAP and FODMAP Friendly tested 1/2 avocado to be low FODMAP. Therefore it is very important to test your own tolerance level. If you tolerate it well, you can use a bit more.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: shrimp spring roll bowl, spring roll bowl, low FODMAP spring roll bowl
Laat je het me weten als je dit recept gemaakt hebt? Ik zou het heel leuk vinden als je me laat weten wat je van het recept vindt door hieronder een reactie en een rating achter te laten. Je kunt ook je creaties met me delen op Instagram door de hashtag #karlijnskitchen te gebruiken of door mij te taggen via @karlijnskitchen.