Low FODMAP pineapple and banana beignets
Here in the Netherlands, we have several food traditions on New Year’s Eve. Oliebollen are very popular, Dutch deep fried dougnuts that we eat plain or with raisins with powdered sugar on top. Another popular food is beignets and especially apple beignets. Because apple is only very limited low FODMAP, I didn’t make apple beignets. I made low FODMAP pineapple and banana beignets instead!
In my family, we would only eat oliebollen for New Year’s. On the 31st of december, my mum would bake around 100 of them. We would share them with the neighbours and enjoy them for a few days. On the 1st of January, we always visited my grandma and she often made fresh waffles. Also a delicious New Year’s tradition.
Beignets was not something we ate in my family, but I know that it is a tradition for a lot of families here in the Netherlands. That’s why I thought it would be fun to experiment with two fruity beignets.
Low FODMAP beignets
I made my beignets with pineapple and banana. Banana beignets are almost the same as fried bananas. So if you like that, you will fore sure like the banana beignets too. I thought pineapple would be fun too because the shape is similar to apple beignets and it tastes sweet and fresh. I used canned pineapple for this.
Making the batter for the beignets is super simple. All you need is eggs, lactose-free milk, gluten-free self-raising flour, a little bit of sugar, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. You mix this together until you have a batter. Then you dip the fruit into it and fry it.
No waiting time for rising, like you have when you are baking Dutch dougnuts. These low FODMAP pineapple and banana beignets are done quite quickly!
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP pineapple and banana beignets? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
A Dutch tradition: beignets for New Year’s Eve! Fruity low FODMAP pineapple and banana beignets. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) lactose-free milk
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- A pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp sguar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 g (1 cup) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 3 bananas
- 1 can pineapple slices
- 2 bottles of sunflower oil
- A cooking thermometer
- Mix the eggs and the milk together.
- Add salt, sugar, vanilla extract and self-raising flour. Whisk with a whisk until you have a smooth mixture.
- Cut the bananas in 4 pieces each and drain the slices of pineapple well.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pan until it reaches 180 degrees.
- Dip a piece of banana or a slice of pineapple in the batter and put into the oil using a heat-proof spatula. Fry 2-3 minutes per side until they are golden brown.
- Take the beignets out of the oil with the spatula. And put into a strainer covered with paper kitchen towel.
- Repeat this until no batter is left. I made 10 banana beignets and 8 pineapple beignets with the batter. Serve with some powdered sugar on top.
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Category: Party snacks
- Method: Deep-frying
- Cuisine: Dutch
Keywords: low FODMAP beignets, gluten-free beignets, lactose-free beignets, pineapple beignets, banana beignets
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!