Low FODMAP Mexican lettuce wraps
After all the cake recipes that I made last month, I have gone back to eating a bit more normal. I eat fewer sweets (because I know that also makes my stomach happier) and some more light meals.
These delicious low FODMAP Mexican lettuce wraps have been my favourite replacement for tacos or gluten-free tortillas lately.
Lettuce wraps sound very healthy and not so tasty, but I like this recipe just as much as a stuffed taco. Because you use all ingredients that you would normally put into a taco in this recipe too, it really tastes almost the same. The recipe is just a bit lighter and has more vegetables!Print
A light and healthy recipe! Low FODMAP Mexican lettuce wraps with minced meat, vegetables and grated cheese. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
- Romaine lettuce (you can also use iceberg lettuce, but it is easy to serve the meat in the leaves of the romaine lettuce)
- 200 g lean ground beef
- 30 g tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, diced*
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and diced*
- Grated cheese, to taste
- Lactose-free cream cheese, to taste
- Optional: 60 g sweet corn (sweet corn is low FODMAP up to 43 g per serving)
- Optional: mashed avocado (avocado is low FODMAP up to 1/8 avocado per serving)
For the taco spice mixture
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Mix the ingredients for the taco spices together in a bowl.
- Heat a pan and fry the lean minced meat. Add the spices and stir everything together well.
- Cut the tomatoes and the bell pepper into pieces and add this together with the tomato paste to the minced meat.
- Bake for a few minutes until soft and then add the corn, if you use this. Taste and season with some extra salt and pepper if necessary.
- Rinse the romaine lettuce and divide the leaves over two plates.
- Divide the meat mixture over the lettuce leaves.
- Serve with some grated cheese, lactose-free cream cheese and optionally some mashed avocado.
*Note: in 2022 the low FODMAP quantities for bell pepper and tomato have been adjusted. Red bell pepper and tomato are both high in fructose in larger quantities and are therefore no longer so easy to combine. If you are still in the elimination phase or know that you do not tolerate fructose well, I recommend omitting the bell pepper in this recipe and using only tomato (up to a maximum of 65 grams per person).
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: Diner
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1/2 recipe
- Calories: 393
- Fat: 26
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 30
Keywords: FODMAP, gluten-free, meat, lettuce
Laat je het me weten als je dit recept gemaakt hebt? Ik zou het heel leuk vinden als je me laat weten wat je van het recept vindt door hieronder een reactie en een rating achter te laten. Je kunt ook je creaties met me delen op Instagram door de hashtag #karlijnskitchen te gebruiken of door mij te taggen via @karlijnskitchen.