Low FODMAP marble cake
It’s my birthday today! A very strange birthday this year because I will have to eat cake with my family digitally over Skype and will mainly be sitting inside with my boyfriend today. But despite the situation that we are in, I still wanted to share a baking recipe with you today. Since we will be stuck inside for the next few weeks, it is nice to get into the kitchen now and then to bake a nice treat.
I felt like baking a simple cake this time. Not too many difficult ingredients, just a yummy cake! Therefore, I created this gluten-free and low FODMAP marble cake. A vanilla cake with swirls of chocolate batter. This combination makes a delicious chocolate-vanilla cake.
The ingredients of the low FODMAP marble cake
I used the following ingredients for this marble cake:
- Gluten-free flour: I like to use Mix It Universal by Schär.
- Xanthan gum: the first time that I tested this recipe, I didn’t use xanthan gum. The cake was very crumbly and fell apart easily. With the second attempt, I did use xanthan gum and that made a more firm cake that didn’t fall apart. Therefore, I definitely advise to add xanthan gum to your pantry. It is a bit more expensive to buy, but one package will last you a very long time and it improves almost all your gluten-free bakes! It gives batters and doughs more elasticity and helps them to stay together. If you cannot find xanthan gum, you can also make this cake without, it will just be a bit more crumbly then.
- White sugar
- 100% plant-based margarine, make sure it contains only low FODMAP ingredients. You can also use normal butter for this cake. I used margarine for the cake, so the cake is also suitable for people who have to eat dairy-free. For the low FODMAP diet, butter is allowed, so if you rather use butter, you can do that. Read my blog about butter and the low FODMAP diet for more information.
- Cacao powder
- Plant-based milk: I used rice milk, but another low FODMAP plant-based milk is also fine. You can also use lactose-free milk.
I am very curious what you think about this cake! At our house, the cake disappeared very very soon 😉
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP marble cake? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
Low FODMAP marble cake
- Total Time: 70 min
- Servings: 12 slices 1x
A simple low FODMAP marble cake! Vanilla cake with a chocolate swirl. Easy to make and a crowdpleaser. Gluten-free, lactose-free and milk-free.
- 225 g (1 cup) plant-based margarine or butter
- 225 g (1 1/8 cup) white sugar
- 250 g (2 cups) gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gom
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp lactose-free milk (I used rice milk)
- 16 g (1 1/8 tbsp) baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A 25-cm (1o inch) rectangular cake tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). Grease a baking tin and layer with baking parchment.
- Mix the margarine creamy with the sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and the eggs one by one and mix in between.
- Mix the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt together in another bowl.
- Add this to the wet ingredients little by little while you keep mixing.
- Remove 2/3th of the batter from the bowl and put this aside. Mix the cacao powder and the milk in a small bowl and add this to the leftover 1/3th of the batter. Mix until you have a chocolate batter.
- Divide half of the vanilla batter over the cake tin. Divide the chocolate batter on top and finish with the rest of the vanilla batter. Go with a knife through the batter a few times, to create a marble pattern.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 55 minutes. Check the cake regularly. If the cake gets too dark, you can cover it with baking parchment. Check after about 50 minutes if the cake is done. It is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool down in the tin for a few minutes. Remove from the tin and leave to cool down completely.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free marble cake, gluten-free chocolate vanilla cake, low FODMAP marble cake, lactose-free cake, lactose-free marble cake
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!