Gluten-free puff pastry cheese pockets
As a teenager, I worked on the bakery department of our local supermarket. Cutting bread, baking different kinds of bread, wrapping up sweet snacks. We always put out some samples for our customers to taste and usually part of those samples ended up in our own mouths. I loved the donuts, muffins, croissants and cheese pockets. My boyfriend regularly buys savoury snacks there and then I can find it really annoying sometimes that I cannot just do that too. Every time this happens I usually end up trying to make the things I miss myself and that happened this time too. I made low FODMAP and gluten-free puff pastry cheese pockets using gluten-free puff pastry.
I am going to be totally honest with you: they are not the same as cheese pockets that are made with non-gluten-free puff pastry. In the last years there are more and more tasty gluten-free products available. When I bake a gluten-free cake, I don’t taste any difference with non-gluten-free cakes. Gluten-free bread is improving. But the gluten-free puff pastry that we have in the Netherlands is by far not as good as normal puff pastry. It puffs up a lot less and it is thicker and harder. Hopefully this will improve soon, but for now this is all we have. These gluten-free puff pastry cheese pockets still make a nice party snack and as we cannot have normal cheese pockets, they are a great low FODMAP option!
Will you let me know if you make my low FODMAP and gluten-free puff pastry cheese pockets? I would love it if you would share your thoughts with me!
Low FODMAP and gluten-free puff pastry cheese pockets made with gluten-free puff pastry. A delicious party snack! Lactose-free and vegetarian.
- 5 square (5×5 inch) pieces of gluten-free puff pastry
- 4 square slices of yellow cheese (I use Gouda cheese)
- Some lactose-free cream cheese or mustard
- Grated cheese
- 1 egg
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Thaw the slices of puff pastry and cut the slices in half.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese or mustard on the bottom halves of the slices of puff pastry. Do this for all slices.
- Tear the slices of cheese into smaller pieces and put two slices of cheese on top of the cream cheese or mustard. Make sure that you leave some free space at the edges, otherwise you won’t be able to close your cheese pocket. Sprinkle some pepper on top of the cheese.
- Fold the upper half of the slice of puff pastry over the bottom half and carefully press the edges down with a fork.
- Make three cuts on the top of the cheese pockets with a knife.
- Whip the egg and brush egg on top of the cheese pockets. Spread some grated cheese on top.
- Bake the cheese pockets in the oven for 20-25 minutes. They are done when they are golden brown. It can differ per oven how long the cheese pockets need, so if they are not coloured enough yet, you can leave them in for 5 minutes more.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!