A delicious low FODMAP blueberry pie. With homemade gluten-free pie dough and a diamond pattern on top. Low FODMAP and low in lactose.
- 750 g (4 cups) blueberries (I use frozen blueberries)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1x this recipe for pie crust from The Loopy Whisk
- A 23 cm quiche tin (9 inches)
- 1 egg for brushing the pie
- Make the dough for the pie according to this recipe from The Loopy Whisk.
- You can easily make the dough in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. That’s why I like to make the dough the night before so that I can start right away on the day I bake the pie.
- For the filling, place the blueberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a pan. You don’t have to thaw them beforehand. Do you use fresh blueberries? Then add 50 ml of water.
- Heat the blueberries on low heat for about 6 minutes. Keep stirring well.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of water and the cornstarch in a bowl to form a paste. Add this to the blueberries and stir well. Let this simmer for 3 minutes until the blueberry mixture has thickened.
- Set aside and let the blueberries cool.
- Divide the pie dough in half.
- Roll out one half of the dough into a circle with a diameter of about 30 cm (11.8 inches).
- Place the dough over the cake tin and press it gently. Remove any dough that sticks out over the edges.
- Divide the blueberry filling over the base.
- Roll out the second part of the dough into a circle of a similar size. Cut the dough with a sharp knife into strips about 1 cm (0.4 inches) thick. Place the strips in a checkered pattern over the cake.
- Place the cake in the freezer for 20 minutes. This ensures that the cake retains its shape while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 F).
- Beat the egg in a bowl. Remove the cake from the freezer and brush the top with the egg.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees (392 F). Then reduce the temperature to 180 degrees (350 F) and bake for about another 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool.
- Delicious to serve when it is still a little warm with a scoop of (lactose-free) vanilla ice cream on top.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: gluten-free blueberry pie, low fodmap blueberry pie, low lactose blueberry pie, lactose-free blueberry pie