Low FODMAP and gluten-free scones! Een basic recipe for scones. Perfect for a high tea or festive breakfast. With lemon curd or jam. Low lactose
- 250 g (1 3/4 cup) gluten-free flour (I use Schär Mix It Universal)
- 65 g (1/3 cup) sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 130 g (5/8 cup) butter, cold
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) lactose-free milk
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water (for brushing the scones)
- A scone cutter
- 200 ml (6.8 fl. oz) lactose-free whipping cream + 2 tbsp sugar
- Lemon curd or low FODMAP jam
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (392 F).
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a bowl. Stir together with a spoon.
- Cut the butter into very small cubes. Knead this with your hands through the dough until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Then add the milk and knead until you have a dough ball.
- Flour the counter with some gluten-free flour.
- Roll out the dough to a slice of approx. 15 by 30 cm (5.9 by 11.8 inch).
Fold the dough in half so that you have a square of about 15 by 15 cm (5.9 by 5.9 inch). Roll out a little so that the two slices are stuck together well. You should now have a slice of dough about 2 cm (0.8 inch) thick.
- Use a cutter to make 10 scones from the dough. I first took out about 7 and then rolled out the leftover dough again into a 2 cm slice and removed the last 3 scones.
- Do you feel the dough getting too soft or too warm? Then put it in the fridge for 15 minutes in between. It is important that the dough is not too warm.
- Mix 1 egg with 1 tbsp water in a bowl.
- Brush the scones with the egg mixture.
- Bake the scones in the oven for 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Whip the cream with the sugar.
- Cut the scones in half and serve with whipped cream and lemon curd or jam.
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: gluten-free scones, low FODMAP scones