The Turkish cuisine is absolutely my favourite cuisine. I studied in Turkey for a year in 2012 and from that moment on I was sold. I love Turkish food. There are so many different dishes, so many varieties and it is all delicious. I enjoy preparing Turkish food and last week I cooked a Turkish dinner for friends. I will share the recipes with you! Today my favourite part of dinner: the dessert! I made kadayif.
This is a dessert made of strings of dough filled with walnuts. It is baked in the oven and afterwards you pour sugar syrup over it (something that is usual for Turkish desserts). It is incredibly sweet but very good. If you like the famous baklava, you will like this too for sure!
I made this recipe before my FODMAP period, therefore this recipe is not low FODMAP.
Will you let me know if you have made my Turkish kadayif recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
An incredibly sweet dessert from the Turkish cuisine. Kadayif! Strings of dough with walnuts in between with sugar syrup poured on top. Sticky and sweet!
For the kadayif
- 500 g (17.6 oz) tel kadayif (you can buy this in Turkish supermarkets/minimarkets)
- 200 g (1 2/3 cups) walnuts
- 200 g (7/8 cups) butter
For the syrup
- 600 g (3 cups) sugar
- 700 ml (3 cups) water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice.
- Start by putting the sugar and water in a pot and bring it to boil. Stir the sugar until it has dissolved. Then leave the sugar and water mixture to boil for 30 minutes.
- Then add the lemon juice and let the sugar syrup boil for another 15 minutes. Take the pot off the stove and leave it to cool down.
- In the meantime, you can start preparing the kadayif. Pre-heat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
- Put the dough strings in a large bowl and loosen the strings from each other by going through it with your hands.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a pan and pour it over the kadayif in the bowl. Mix the butter thoroughly with the kadayif using your hands.
- Crush the walnuts. You can do this by putting them in a tea towel and then crush them with a rolling pin.
- Take a glass oven dish (or any other dish) and spread half of the strings of dough over the bottom and press it slightly.
- Spread the crushed walnuts over the dough strings and finish it off with the second half of the strings of dough. Pressing it slightly again.
- Put the oven dish in the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until the kadayif looks golden brown.
- After taking the it out of the oven pour the sugar syrup over it. (It is important here that either the kadayif or the syrup is still warm and the other is cold. I made the syrup first and let it cool down while the kadayif was in the oven. You can also let the kadayif cool down and pour the syrup over while it is still hot).
- Leave it for a while, so the sugar syrup can soak into the kadayif.
- Prep Time: 50 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Turkish
Keywords: kadayif, turkish kadayif, turkish dessert
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!