Tortilla soup with homemade tortilla chips
I have never been a big fan of soup. You will not catch me ordering it in a restaurant and in general, I just don’t eat it often. But now and then I love it, especially when it makes a complete meal.
A thick and filling soup that you actually have to chew on now and then and can’t just drink. This tortilla soup is one of those soups.
The base is a mixture of vegetable broth, tomato cubes, carrot and bell pepper and it is topped with all my favourite tortilla toppings: corn, olives, cheese and sour cream.
Yum! This vegetarian tortilla soup really fills you up and one bowl will be more than enough to have a satisfying dinner.
Of course, a tortilla soup wouldn’t be a tortilla soup without tortillas. Homemade tortilla chips make a perfect side to the soup. All you need is some leftover corn tortillas. You cut them into strips, sprinkle with a bit of oil and sea salt and bake them in the oven for about 15 minutes.
When I came home after a rainy grey day at work, this hearty tortilla soup was all I needed to warm up. Mmm. Can’t wait to have the leftovers tomorrow!
Will you let me know if you make my tortilla soup? I would love it if you would share your creations with me using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen on Instagram or by tagging me at @karlijnskitchenPrint
A hearty tortilla soup with homemade tortilla chips, sour cream, grated cheese and corn. Low FODMAP, gluten-free, lactose-free and vegetarian.
- 500 ml vegetable broth (make sure the broth is low FODMAP)
- 200 g canned diced tomatoes*
- 1 large carrot
- 1 bell pepper*
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pepper and salt
For the topping
- Lactose-free cream cheese or sour cream (sour cream only if you tolerate lactose)
- Grated cheese
- Black olives, in pieces
- 30 g sweet corn
- Spring onions, the green part
- 4 corn tortillas
- Cut the bell pepper and the carrot into pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the bell pepper and carrot and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the vegetable broth, the tomato cubes and add all the spices.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Then lower the heat and leave it to simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to turn the soup into a smooth mixture. Blend only shortly if you like to have some pieces in your soup.
- Taste the soup and add some extra spices if necessary.
- While the soup simmers, heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Cut the corn tortillas into strips. Put them on a baking sheet covered with baking parchment and sprinkle with a bit of oil and sea salt. Bake the corn tortillas in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Divide the soup over two bowls. Top with the corn, olives, spring onion and cream cheese and sprinkle grated cheese on top. Serve with the homemade tortilla chips.
*In 2022, the low FODMAP quantities for peppers and tomatoes have been changed. Red bell pepper and tomato are both high in fructose in larger quantities and are therefore no longer so easy to combine. If you are still in the elimination phase or know that you react to fructose, I recommend omitting the bell pepper from this recipe.
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: FODMAP, gluten-free, tortilla, soup, vegetarian
Are you looking for some more low FODMAP dinner inspiration? Then make sure to also check out my recipe round-up blog with 33 low FODMAP dinner recipes, in which this tortilla soup is also featured. Lots of yummy recipes!
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.