Delicious low FODMAP sweet potato risotto with zucchini, chicken and of course parmesan cheese. Gluten-free and low lactose.
- 120 g risotto rice
- 1 medium sized sweet potato (70 g per person is low FODMAP)
- 100 g zucchini
- 200 g chicken breast
- Optional: 60 g bacon
- Parmesan cheese, add according to taste
- Pepper, salt, oregano and parsley
- A cube of butter
- 1 stock cube (make sure there is no garlic or onion added)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into small cubes. Put them on a baking tray covered with baking parchment and drizzle them with some oil, salt and pepper. Bake them in the oven for 30 minutes. Turn them once when half of the baking time has passed.
- In the meantime cut the zucchini very small (I used a spiralizer and then cut the strings in small pieces) and slice the chicken breast into cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and bake the chicken breast and the bacon while stirring. Flavour with some pepper and salt. Add the zucchini and bake for about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring 500 ml water to boil and add the stock cube. Turn the fire a bit lower, but make sure the stock keeps boiling.
- Heat some oil in another pan.
- Note: I do not use garlic and onion because that is not low FODMAP. Usually, in risotto recipes, onion and garlic are used. If you don’t have to eat low FODMAP you can add 1 onion and 1 clove of garlic (in small pieces) to the oil after this step and stir this until the onions have glazed.
- Add the rice and stir this until the rice looks a bit glazed. Then add a spoonful of stock while you keep stirring the rice. When all the stock has absorbed, add another spoonful. It is important that you watch the risotto constantly and keep stirring, otherwise, it will stick to the bottom of the pan or burn. Continue adding stock spoon after spoon until the risotto is soft and done.
- Flavour the risotto with some salt, pepper, oregano and parsley.
- Stir the sweet potato, chicken breast, bacon and zucchini through the risotto and heat it for a few minutes.
- Finally, stir a cube of butter and the parmesan cheese through the risotto. Serve the risotto on plates and sprinkle some more parmesan on top.
- Prep Time: 40 mins