Low FODMAP sweet potato muffins
Some time ago, I challenged myself to make some more varied breakfasts, instead of only eating the same thing every day. One of the recipes that I made were these low FODMAP sweet potato muffins! I got asked a few times if I wanted to share the recipe and of course I want to do that!
I am usually more into the sweet breakfasts than savoury ones, but I really loved those low FODMAP sweet potato muffins (ok, sweet potatoes are a bit sweet too, but for me, this still falls in the savoury category). Just like cottage cheese pancakes, by the way, they are great too.
The ingredients of the low FODMAP sweet potato muffins
- I use gluten-free flour from Schär for this recipe. You can also use oat flour. If you tolerate spelt, spelt flour is also an option, but I wouldn’t advise to do this when you are still in the elimination or reintroduction phase because spelt is high in FODMAPs.
- Cottage cheese is low FODMAP up to 40 gr per portion, so in this amount, it shouldn’t give any problems. When I am not sure about the amount of lactose I usually take a lactase pill. If you have to avoid lactose completely you could use lactose-free cottage cheese (if available) or otherwise lactose-free quark or thick lactose-free yoghurt.
- Sweet potato is low in FODMAPs up to 70 gr per portion. To keep your serving low fodmap it is best to only eat one muffin per serving. You can also choose to replace the sweet potato (partially or entirely) by pumpkin (don’t choose butternut), then you can eat two muffins.
Something different for breakfast than a standard sandwich or oatmeal!
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP sweet potato muffins? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a reaction and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
Sweet potato muffins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 min
- Servings: 6 1x
Delicious low FODMAP sweet potato muffins to have for breakfast. With gluten free flour, cottage cheese, egg and grated cheese. Super tasty and healthy!
- 300 g (2 cups) sweet potato (measured chopped and uncooked)
- 3 eggs
- 25 gr (1/8 cup) cottage cheese
- 125 gr (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) gluten-free flour or oat flour
- 30 gr (1/4 cup) grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F).
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into very thin strips and then pieces. Put this into a bowl.
- Break the eggs in the bowl, add the cottage cheese and the flour and stir everything together. Season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Finally, stir half of the grated cheese through the mixture.
- Divide the mixture over six muffin cases and sprinkle the rest of the grated cheese on top.
- Place the muffins in the oven for about 45-50 minutes. If you use pumpkin instead of sweet potato they need a bit shorter, the muffins will be done after about 35 minutes then.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
So easy and good!! Cant wait to try this out on the weekend!
Yesss, I found them surprisingly good 🙂