Low FODMAP stuffed peppers with rice
A few weeks ago, I visited Istanbul again and every time I go to Turkey, the same thing happens: when I come back I just want to cook and eat Turkish food.
I am so so so in love with the Turkish cuisine. Today I have a very famous, but simple Turkish dish for you: stuffed peppers with rice, called biber dolmasi in Turkish. These are deliciously soft peppers.
They get so soft because you fill them with uncooked rice and then boil the peppers as a whole until the rice is cooked. Often, minced meat is added to the peppers too, but I made a vegetarian version this time.
I bought the ingredients in the Turkish supermarket and Albert Heijn
- White rice, 400 g: €0,74
- Turkish green peppers, 6 peppers: €2,00
- Tomatoes, 500 g: €1,19
- Tomato paste, 70g: €0,28
Spices: from my pantry
€1,40 per person
Turkish stuffed peppers with rice, also called biber dolmasi. I made a low FODMAP version that is also vegan and gluten-free. A delicious side dish.
- 250 g white rice
- 6 green peppers (I used Turkish green peppers that I bought at a Turkish supermarket, they are slightly smaller than normal bell peppers)
- 1 tomato, grated
- 1 tomato, in slices
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp parsley (either fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- Pepper and salt
- Grate 1 tomato. Mix it with the uncooked rice. Also mix in 1 tbsp tomato paste, parsley, ground paprika, pepper and salt. Add a little more pepper and salt than you would normally do, otherwise the rice mixture will be to bland.
- Clean the peppers. Cut off the top of the pepper and remove the seeds carefully. Stuff the peppers with the rice mixture (you fill the peppers with uncooked rice).
- Cut a tomato into slices, you are going to use this as a lid on top of the peppers. If the slices are too big, it is best to remove the seeds and to cut a slice into a few pieces. You use the pieces as a lid on the peppers.
- Arrange the peppers side-by-side on the bottom of a saucepan. Make sure you use a pan that can just fit all the peppers. If there is empty space between the peppers, they will start to float and you want to avoid that.
- Mix 1 tbsp tomato paste with 150 ml hot water, 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Pour this into the pan with the peppers. Add boiling water until the peppers are just under water.
- Put the pan on the stove and bring to a boil. Leave the peppers to boil for about 30 minutes, until the rice inside the peppers is cooked.
- Serve and enjoy! I love eating those with some lactose-free yoghurt on the side.
*Since 2022, green peppers have been limited low FODMAP up to 75 grams per serving and tomatoes are limited low FODMAP up to 65 grams per serving for normal tomatoes. About 1 stuffed bell pepper is a low FODMAP serving. If you know that you can tolerate more bell pepper and tomato, you can have some more of this dish.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.