Low FODMAP stuffed chicken breast with crunchy polenta
I felt like eating simple a simple potato-meat-veggies dinner, but just a bit different. In the Netherlands it is really usual to eat meat, vegetables and boiled potatoes for dinner, but that is not really my thing.
However if it is a bit more special you really make me happy with such a dish. This was such a dish: yummy stuffed chicken and baked polenta, so good!
Because you bake the stuffed chicken breast in the oven, the meat stays very soft. The polenta gets a crunchy crust, because you bake it after cooking it and letting it cool.
Notes for Fodmappers
- Sundried tomatoes are low in fodmaps up to two pieces per portion. Make sure no high fodmap ingredients such as garlic are added to the jar.
- Only the green part of the spring onion is low in fodmaps.
- Make sure the chicken stock cubes do not contain high fodmap ingredients such as garlic or onion.
Potatoes, meat and vegetables, but then a bit more exciting. Stuffed chicken breast with spinach, feta and sundried tomatoes ánd crunchy polenta.
For the chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 hands full of spinach
- 30 g feta
- 4 sundried tomatoes (make sure there is no garlic added to the jar)
For the polenta
- 120 g polenta
- 350 ml chicken stock
- one stalk spring onion
- one tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- Bring the stock to boil in a pan. Add the polenta while you keep stirring. Do not do this too fast, because otherwise you will get lumps in your polenta. Continue stirring.
- Leave the polenta to boil for about 2 minutes. The polenta is done when it is as thick as puree. Stir a few rings of spring onion through the polenta. Flavour it with the butter, salt and pepper.
- Pour the polenta in an oven dish or on a baking tray, a layer of about 1 cm thick.
- Leave the polenta to cool completely.
- When the polenta has cooled down you can cut it in cubes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and bake the polenta cubes on all sides until they get a crunchy crust. This takes about 10 minutes.
The stuffed chicken breast
- Fry for the stuffed chicken breast the spinach for a few minutes. Cut the sundried tomatoes in pieces and crumble the feta. Put this in a bowl together with the spinach and flavour with pepper and salt.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the chicken breasts open on one side and stuff them with the spinach mixture. Use toothpick halves to close the chicken breasts and to prevent the filling from falling out when baking.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the chicken breasts on both sides. They don’t have to be entirely done from the inside.
- Put the chicken breasts in a greased oven dish and place them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.