Low FODMAP strawberry chia jam
A very simple recipe to make your own jam! I made strawberry chia jam. For this jam, you use chia seeds instead of gelatin to bind the jam. When you put chia seeds into a liquid it forms a jelly-ish substance and that is perfect to make jam with.
For people who don’t want to eat animal products, chia seeds are a good substitute for gelatin, as gelatin contains animal collagen. This strawberry chia jam is vegetarian and vegan.
I often find normal jam very sweet and I notice that I get IBS complaints quicker when I eat too much sugar. Therefore, I made this jam a lot less sweet than normal jam.
If you prefer a sweeter jam, you can add some more sugar or maple syrup. Just taste in between if you find the jam sweet enough.
Note: Strawberries have been retested and they are low FODMAP up to 65 gram per serving. 1/4 of this recipe is a safe low FODMAP serving.Print
A healthy homemade jam: low FODMAP strawberry chia jam! Without much sugar, without gelatine, but very tasty! Vegan, gluten-free and lactose-free.
- 500 g strawberries (or another kind of low FODMAP fruit), I used frozen strawberries and defrosted them first
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- 2.5 tbsp chia seeds
- Heat the strawberries in a pan and add the maple syrup or the sugar.
- Leave the strawberries to simmer for 15 minutes on medium heat.
- If you prefer smooth jam, you can mash the strawberries with a hand blender. If you prefer jam with pieces of strawberry, just mash them with a fork or a potato masher.
- Taste the jam and add some extra maple syrup or sugar if you prefer a sweeter jam.
- Add the chia seeds and stir them through the jam. Leave the jam to simmer for two more minutes.
- Stir the jam one more time, take the pan off of the heat and leave the jam to cool in the pan. The jam will thicken when it cools down.
- Store the jam in a glass jar in the fridge.
Note: Strawberries have been retested and they are low FODMAP up to 65 gram per serving. 1/4 of this recipe is a safe low FODMAP serving.
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.