Low FODMAP spring rolls with tempeh
Spring rolls are fantastic. Thin rice paper that you can fill with everything you like. It is easy to make and you can easily take it with you in a box.
Perfect for a meal prep for work or school. I decided to give tempeh a second chance in this recipe and I made spring rolls with tempeh. I often hear that people are crazy about it.
Tempeh is made of soy beans and does not taste like anything from itself, but if you marinate it well it should be really nice.
I once made a pasta with tomato sauce and tempeh and that was not a success. The marinade I made for the tempeh and the sauce really didn’t go together and it didn’t taste good at all.
I even made four portions and because I didn’t want to waste food, I ate it all. Since then tempeh has been very low on my favourites list. This time, I marinated the tempeh with fish sauce, sweet soy sauce and wok oil and man that was good!
I ate half of it already while I was filling the rice papers. So, it’s a good idea to give food a second chance: I present spring rolls with tempeh!Print
Spring rolls are very versatile. You can stuff them with everything you like. These are vegetarian spring rolls with tempeh, egg, cucumber and bean sprouts.
- 12 rice papers
- 200 g tempeh
- 2 eggs
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 150 g cucumber
- Some lettuce
For the marinade
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (usually this is low fodmap, the small amount of wheat in it should not be a problem, check for high fodmap ingredients such as garlic and onion)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Cut the tempeh into thin strips. Put them in a bowl.
- Make the marinade by mixing the fish sauce, sweet soy sauce and wok oil together in a bowl. Add this to the tempeh and stir everything together. Leave it to marinate for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and bake the tempeh golden brown on all sides in a few minutes.
- Scramble the eggs in another pan. Cut the cucumber in thin strips too.
- Now you can start filling the rice papers. Put hot water on a deep plate. Put the rice papers in the water one-by-one for about 30-60 seconds, so they become soft. When you are giving a dinner it is nice to put all ingredients for the spring rolls on the table. Put two deep plates with water on the table and let the guests prepare their own spring rolls.
- Put a bit of lettuce in the middle of the rice paper and put some tempeh, bean sprouts and cucumber on top. Finally, add some egg. Make sure you don’t put too much on a spring roll and leave the sides free. Fold the two ends towards the centre and roll the spring rolls. Repeat this for all rice papers.
- It is nice to serve the spring rolls with fish sauce of soy sauce for dipping.
- Prep Time: 60 mins