Gluten-free Dutch speculaas chunks. A traditional Dutch speculaas recipe, but then low FODMAP, gluten-free and low lactose.
- 240 g gluten-free flour
- 160 g dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice*
- 200 g cold butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp lactose-free milk
- Pinch of salt
- Almond halves for decorating
- A beaten egg, to brush on top
- Mix the gluten-free flour, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, salt and baking powder together in a bowl. Add the cold butter and milk and knead into a dough. If the dough stays too crumbly, you can add some extra milk. If it is too sticky you can add some extra flour.
- Wrap the dough in some cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for at least an hour (an entire night is even better).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Roll the dough into a ½ cm thick layer. You can do this easily by putting the dough between two layers of cling film.
- Put the layer of dough onto the baking sheet and decorate the top with the almond halves. Brush the egg wash on top.
- Bake the speculaas in the oven for about 30-35 minutes.
* We use a mix called ‘cookie spices’ in Holland, but it is very similar to pumpkin spice. My spice mix contains cinnamon (57%), cilantro, nutmeg, cloves (7%), ginger, cardamom and orange peels.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Serving Size: 1/10
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 17
- Fat: 17
- Carbohydrates: 36
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 1
Keywords: Dutch speculaas, speculaas chunks, Dutch speculaas recipe, speculaas recipe, speculaasbrokken