Low FODMAP salted caramel brownies (gluten-free)
I realized that I don’t have a basic brownie recipe on my blog yet. So it is time to add that to my baking repertoire! Because I find standard brownies a tad boring I decided to make my brownies a little more exciting by using my favourite caramel see salt chocolate instead of normal dark chocolate. This easy ingredients replacement turned the brownies into delicious low FODMAP salted caramel brownies!
These brownies don’t contain any flour, only a bit of cornstarch. Because of this they remain very sticky and gooey and that’s exactly how I like my brownies! You can really taste the pieces of caramel and sea salt, just as in the chocolate bar (I used a caramel sea salt chocolate bar from the Dutch brand Tony’s Chocolonely). So so good!
Prefer vegan brownies? Then definitely go check my recipe for vegan low FODMAP brownies with salted caramel sauce!
Will you let me know if you make my low FODMAP salted caramel brownies? I would love it if you would share your creations with me using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen on Instagram or by tagging me at @karlijnskitchenPrint
Low FODMAP salted caramel brownies! Soft fudgy brownies with a bite of sea salt or caramel now and then. So good! Gluten-free and low in lactose.
This recipe is based on the gluten free browies recipe by David Lebovitz
- 85 grams of butter (6 tbsp)
- 150 grams of sugar (3/4 cup)
- 40 grams of dark chocolate
- 180 grams of salted caramel chocolate
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 grams cacao powder (1 tbsp)
- 30 grams corn starch (3 tbsp)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- An 8-inch (23 cm) square baking tin
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius / 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a square baking tin.
- Melt the butter in a pan and add the sugar. Stir together and add the chocolate and the salted caramel chocolate. Stir until you get a smooth mixture.
- Take the mixture off of the stove and mix it for two minutes with a handmixer. Add the eggs one by one and the vanilla extract and mix everything together.
- Finally add the cacao powder, corn starch and salt and mix again for about 2 minutes until you get a smooth and shiny batter.
- Pour the batter in the baking tin and bake the brownies for about 22-30 minutes in the oven. The salted caramel brownies are done when they have just set in the middle. You still want them to be soft and fudgy on the inside.
- Sprinkle a bit of sea salt on top before serving!
A portion of 30 grams dark chocolate is low FODMAP. For milk chocolate a portion of 15 grams. Pay attention when using chocolate with extra additives, such as caramel, that the extra ingredients are also low FODMAP. The milk caramel sea salt chocolate by Tony’s Chocolonely does not contain any other FODMAPs and is therefore also low FODMAP up to 15 gram per portion. If you cut this brownie into 16 pieces a portion of 1 brownie is low FODMAP. Also because the amounts of sugar and fat in brownies it is important to limit your portion size to 1 brownie at a time. If you have to eat lactose-free you can use a dark chocolate instead, such as dark chocolate with sea salt.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!