Low FODMAP quinoa bowl with kale and halloumi
A while ago I felt like eating something different than usual. I went onto Pinterest and I saw ‘bowls’ everywhere. Smoothie bowls, salad bowls, they were everywhere.
We had some leftover quinoa at home and I didn’t do anything with quinoa for a really long time, so that gave me the idea to make a quinoa bowl.
A quinoa bowl is simply a bowl in which you put quinoa and where you add all kinds of ingredients that you like.
The good thing about a quinoa bowl is that you can make it as healthy as you want and it is easy to adapt it to certain diets or allergies. It is very simple to make a vegetarian bowl or to make sure that it is gluten- or lactose-free.
If you make this bowl for guests with different preferences or allergies, you can also put all the ingredients on the table and let them create their own bowl.
I choose to add some of my favorite ingredients together to the quinoa bowl. Some sweet potato, halloumi (delicious salty Turkish cheese), zucchini and kale (that last one I actually picked mainly because it sounds so healthy 😉 ).
I always boil my quinoa with a stock cube, this gives just that extra bit of flavor.
For the sauce, I choose to make a tahini dressing. Tahini is used a lot in the Middle East. You can find it in for example houmous and I love to flavor things with it.
Tahini has quite a strong flavor, but because you add salt, lemon juice and maple syrup (salt, sour and sweet) to the tahini you get a delicious mild dressing.
This is not a very big portion, so if you are a big eater, you can choose to use a bit more of all of the ingredients or to add extra ingredients. Everything is allowed with a quinoa bowl!Print
A recipe for a delicious vegetarian quinoa bowl with kale, halloumi cheese, sweet potato and zucchini with a tahini dressing. Gluten free and low FODMAP.
- 150 g quinoa
- 150 g zucchini
- A medium-sized sweet potato
- 100 g halloumi cheese
- 3–4 large handfuls of kale
- Lemon juice
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing
- 40 g (2 large tablespoons) tahini paste
- 2 tbsp cold water
- Lemon juice
- A splash of maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the sweet potato, cut it into slices and cut the slices in half.
- Cut the zucchini in the length in half and cut the halves into slices of about 1.5 centimeters thick.
- Put the zucchini in an oven dish. Sprinkle some olive oil over the zucchini (I use a baking spray) and season with some salt, pepper and oregano. Put the zucchini and the sweet potato in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the quinoa according to the instructions on the package. Add half a stock cube for some extra flavor.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together in a bowl. Taste and add extra sour (lemon juice), sweet (maple syrup) or salt to taste.
- Heat some oil or baking spray in a large pan. Fry the kale for about five minutes and add some cayenne pepper and lemon juice.
- Cut the halloumi into slices and bake it in a pan with some olive oil on high heat until a crust forms on both sides.
- Divide the quinoa, the vegetables and the halloumi over the bowls and top of with the dressing.
Limit the amount of sweet potato to 70 grams per portion.
Halloumi is low FODMAP up to 50 grams per portion
Tahini is low FODMAP up to 20 grams per portion
- Prep Time: 40 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.