Pumpkin sweet potato soup
Pumpkin and sweet potatoes are real autumn and winter vegetables. I love them! Even though sweet potato is only limited low FODMAP, you can still use it in dishes in small amounts. That’s what I did for this low FODMAP pumpkin sweet potato soup.
Soup as a starter
I served this pumpkin sweet potato soup in small servings as a starter for Christmas dinner. This light soup is perfect for that! This soup has A LOT of flavour. The soup only contains one sweet potato, but you can still taste it very well. For some extra creaminess, I have added coconut milk to the soup. So good!
This recipe makes 6 small servings that are perfect to serve in a glass as a starter. If you want to eat this soup for lunch or dinner as a bigger serving, this recipe is good for 3 to 4 servings. Note that sweet potato is only low FODMAP up to a maximum of 75 gram per serving. If you are sensitive to mannitol or are still in the elimination phase, 1/4th of the recipe is a low FODMAP serving.
Do you want to be able to eat a larger serving? Then add some extra cubes of pumpkin to the recipe. Pumpkin (Japanese pumpkin, also known as kabocha or kent pumpkin) is unlimited low FODMAP. Note that butternut squash has also been tested but is only limited low FODMAP.
Love pumpkin soup? Check out my roasted pumpkin soup and spicy pumpkin noodle soup too!
Will you let me know if you have made my low FODMAP pumpkin sweet potato soup? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a reaction and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.Print
Pumpkin sweet potato soup (low FODMAP)
- Total Time: 60 min
- Servings: 6 1x
This pumpkin sweet potato soup is a super flavourful soup that’s perfect as a starter for Christmas dinner. But also to just eat for lunch or dinner.
- 500 g (4 1/3) Japanese pumpkin (also called kent or kabocha), cubed
- 300 g (1 1/2 cup) sweet potato, peeled and in cubes
- 200 ml (7 oz) coconut milk
- 1.25 – 1.5 litre (5-6 cups) vegetable or chicken stock (make sure you use stock that is low FODMAP)
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp powdered paprika
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Pepper and salt
- Hand blender
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius (425 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Cover a baking sheet with baking parchment. Put the sweet potato and pumpkin cubes on the baking sheet and drizzle them with some olive oil. Bake them in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a soup pan and add the pumpkin and sweet potato cubes. Add 1.25 liter stock and bring to boil.
- Leave the soup to boil on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender to make the soup into a smooth mixture and season with cayenne peper, powdered paprika, oregano, pepper and salt. Add some extra stock if the soup is too thick.
- Finally add half of the coconut milk and heat through.
- Serve the soup in glasses and use the rest of the coconut milk for garnish.
- Prep Time: 60 min
- Category: Starter
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving (1/6)
- Calories: 118
- Fat: 6
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 1.5
- Protein: 2
Keywords: pumpkin sweet potato soup, pumpkin soup, sweet potato soup, starter
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!