Low FODMAP pasta casserole with chicken and spinach
A casserole might be more of a winter dish, but I still regularly make a casserole in spring. There are some dishes, like lasagna or a pasta casserole, that I eat all year long.
The recipe that I share with you today is one of my favourites: a low FODMAP pasta casserole with chicken and spinach.
I made a creamy sauce using lactose-free crème fraîche and lactose-free cream cheese (but you can also only use one of these) and I added a lot of different low FODMAP veggies to the casserole.
I chose to use spinach, canned mushrooms, tomato and zucchini, but you can also add different low FODMAP vegetables if you like.
Be careful not to use two limited low FODMAP vegetables from the same FODMAP group, because if you do you will be stacking FODMAPs and your meal might turn out to be too high in FODMAPs.
The pasta I used for this dish is the gluten-free pasta from Consenza, which is made of whole grain corn. Since I got advice from a dietician about eating a sufficient amount of fiber during the FODMAP diet, I try to choose products that contain more fiber.
Gluten-free pasta is usually made with cornflour and therefore hardly contains any fiber. The whole grain corn pasta that I used in this recipe is a lot higher in fiber. Buckwheat pasta or brown rice pasta is also a good option if you are looking for a gluten-free pasta that is higher in fiber.Print
A low FODMAP casserole with chicken and spinach! A casserol with a creamy sauce and a lot of vegetables. Gluten-free and low lactose.
- 150 g (5.3 oz) gluten-free pasta
- 150 g (5.3 oz) chicken thigh, in cubes
- 250 g (8.8 oz) frozen spinach
- 200 g (7 oz) canned mushrooms
- 120 g (4.2 oz) zucchini
- 1 tomato
- 60 g (2.1 oz) lactose-free cream cheese
- 60 g (2.1 0z) lactose-free crème fraîche (or 120 g lactose-free cream cheese or crème fraîche)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 40 g (1.4 oz) grated cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F).
- Boil the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat the frozen spinach in a pan until it is soft. Turn off the heat and put aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the chicken thigh until it is cooked.
- Cut the zucchini and tomato into cubes. Rinse and drain the mushrooms.
- Add the zucchini and tomato to the chicken thigh and fry until softened. Add the mushrooms and fry for two more minutes.
- Add the spinach, cream cheese and the crème fraîche and stir together. Leave to simmer for a few minutes. Season with pepper, salt and ground paprika.
- Drain the pasta and add the pasta to the sauce. Stir everything together.
- Scoop the pasta into the oven dish and divide the cheese on top.
- Place the oven dish in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Dutch
- Serving Size: 1 portion (1/2)
- Calories: 647
- Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 69
- Fiber: 7
- Protein: 36
Keywords: low FODMAP casserole, glutenfree casserole, pasta casserole with chicken and spinach, pasta casserole
Together we go for a calm belly!
Subscribe to the Karlijn's Kitchen e-mail newsletter for more tips and recipes and receive the ebook 10 things I wish I had known when I started the FODMAP diet for free!
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.