Low FODMAP millet burgers with cheese and vegetables
Because millet gets very soft when you boil it you can easily shape it into different forms and therefore I thought it would be nice to make vegetarian millet burgers with it.
It turned out very well! I used about 150 g millet and because millet increases in volume a lot while cooking it became a big portion.
Therefore, I decided to make 10 millet burgers and freeze part of them for later. It takes a bit of time to make them and therefore it is nice that you can make a big portion at once.
I ate the millet burgers with a spelt pita bread made of sieved spelt flour. Sieved spelt flour is low FODMAP.Print
Delicious vegetarian millet burgers! A healthy burger for a meat-free day, also gluten-free, lactose-free and low FODMAP! Made with cheese and veggies!
- 150 g millet groats
- 100 g zucchini
- ½ red bell pepper
- 100 g grated cheese
- 1 egg
- A bit of gluten free flour
- A stock cube (check the ingredients to make sure there is no onion or garlic in it)
- Pepper, salt and parsley
- Boil the millet groats with a stock cube in a large layer of water for about 20 minutes until the millet is cooked. Drain it well.
- In the meantime cut the zucchini and the bell pepper in small pieces. Put these in a bowl together with the egg and the cheese. Flavour it with some salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add the millet groats and mix everything together with your hands. If the mixture is still too wet you can add some gluten free flour.
- Shape the mixture into 10 burgers with your hands and put them on a plate.
- Put some gluten free flour on another plate and dip the burgers into this with both sides.
- Heat some oil in a pan and bake the burgers for about five minutes until they are lightly browned on both sides.
- You can eat the burgers on a bun (or like I did on a pita bread) with some lettuce and tomato, but it is also nice to eat them without a bun with some vegetables and potatoes on the side.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.