Low FODMAP meatballs in tomato sauce
My grandma makes the best meatballs in tomato sauce in the world. Every year with Christmas they are on the menu when we have dinner at her house.
I won’t be at my family’s Christmas dinner this year because I celebrate Christmas in Slovenia, but I thought that these meatballs in tomato sauce would also make a delicious snack on New Year’s Eve.
I love having warm snacks at a party and these meatballs are perfect for that.
I made delicious low FODMAP meatballs with a mixture of minced beef and pork, spring onion, smoked paprika powder, cumin and cayenne pepper. For the sauce, I used a basis of stock with tomato puree.Print
Traditional low FODMAP meatballs in tomato sauce. Gluten-free and lactose-free. A simple but super tasty snack for New Year’s Eve.
For the meatballs
- 500 g minced meat (50% pork, 50% beef)
- 1 tbsp mustard (choose a low FODMAP version)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oat flour or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Pepper and salt
- 2 stalks of spring onion, the green part only
- 500 ml stock (make sure to pick a low FODMAP version)
For the tomato paste
- 500 ml stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 1 can of pureed tomato (70 g)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- A pinch of salt
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add two tablespoons of flour and stir together. Add the spices and stir everything together.
- Add the stock and the tomato paste and stir together with a whisk. Bring the sauce to boil, lower the heat and leave the sauce to simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime make the meatballs.
- Mix the meat with the egg, the mustard, the oat flour and all spices. Use some more pepper and salt than you would normally do to season the meat well. Cut the spring onions into small pieces and add them too.
- Knead the meat together well and roll it into small balls.
- Bring the stock to boil.
- Add the meatballs to the boiling water and poach them for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the meatballs and add them to the tomato sauce. Serve directly or leave them to cool and warm them right before serving them.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.