Low FODMAP vegan tostadas with tofu
I made tostadas for the first time last week and that I have done that once, I don’t understand why I never made them before. Mexican tostadas are the perfect low FODMAP meal!
Tostadas are crispy baked corn tortillas topped with a topping of your choice. You can have them for lunch, dinner or for breakfast in different variations.
I made low FODMAP vegan tostadas with tofu and mushrooms and that was a very tasty dinner!Print
A simple Mexican meal: low FODMAP tostadas with tofu and mushrooms. Gluten-free, lactose-free and vegan. Great for lunch or dinner.
- 6–8 corn tortillas
- 200 g tofu
- 2 tomatoes*
- 1 bell pepper*
- 100 g canned mushrooms
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp (smoked) paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- pepper and salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 avocado**
- a splash of lemon juice
- Optional: nutritional yeast (1 tbsp per serving is low FODMAP) / grated cheese
- Optional: lactose-free cream cheese (as a replacement for sour cream)
- Optional: fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 F).
- Cut the tomatoes and the bell pepper into pieces. Heat some oil in a pan and bake the vegetables until they have softened. Add the mushrooms and bake shortly.
- Drain the tofu well and press some more liquid out with your hands. Crumble the tofu into the pan and add all the spices. Bake the tofu for about 10 minutes while you stir now and then.
- Brush a bit of oil on top of the corn tortillas and put them into the oven for 5 minutes. Flip them over after 2.5 minutes.
- Cut the avocado into pieces and sprinkle with a bit of lemon juice.
- Put the corn tortillas onto a plate and put some of the tofu-mushroom mixture on top of each tortilla. Divide the pieces of avocado on top and add some fresh cilantro. I also sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top because I wanted to have a vegan meal, but the tostadas are also good with some grated cheese or lactose-free cream cheese on top.
*In 2022, the low FODMAP amounts for peppers and tomatoes were changed. Red bell pepper and tomato are both high in fructose in larger quantities and are therefore no longer so easy to combine. If you are still in the elimination phase, I would advise leaving bell pepper out and using a maximum of 65 gram of tomato per person.
**Monash University has tested 1/8 avocado to be a low FODMAP serving. FODMAP Friendly’s testing result showed that 1/2 avocado is low FODMAP. Therefore it is important to test your own tolerance level for avocados. In the elimination phase, it is better to go for safe and eat 1/8 avocado per serving maximum.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: International
Keywords: vegan, vegetarian, FODMAP, tostada
Will you let me know if you have made this recipe? I would love it if you would let me know what you think about the recipe by leaving a comment and a rating below. You can also share your creations with me by tagging me on Instagram @karlijnskitchen or by using the hashtag #karlijnskitchen.