A classic! Low FODMAP tomato soup with meatballs. Delicious on a colder day, for lunch, dinner or as a starter. Gluten-free and lactose-free.
For the soup
- 1 stalk of spring onion, only the green part
- 6 tomatoes*
- 1 roasted bell pepper (check the ingredients for FODMAPs)*
- 50 g tomato paste
- 500 ml water
- 1 low FODMAP stock cube
- 1 tbsp garlic infused oil
- Oregano and basil
- Pepper and salt
- Optional: fresh basil (as you can see on the picture, I used parsley, but this was only because they didn’t have fresh basil in the supermarket anymore and I still had parsley at home)
For the meatballs
- 200 g minced meat (I used half pork, half beef)
- 1–2 tbsp low FODMAP bread crumbs or ground oats (make sure to check the ingredients if you use gluten-free bread crumbs, often high FODMAP ingredients are added)
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- Pepper and salt
- Use a knife to cut a cross into the top of every tomato. Put the tomatoes into a pan with hot water. Like this, the skin will loosen up and you can easily peel the tomatoes. Remove the tomatoes from the water after a few minutes and peel them.
- Cut the tomatoes into pieces and cut the bell pepper into pieces too.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Add the green part of the spring onion, the tomatoes, the bell pepper and the tomato paste and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the water and the stock cube. Bring the tomato soup to a boil and leave to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can prepare the meatballs.
- Put all ingredients for the meatballs into a bowl. Knead them together well and form little balls with your hands.
- Use a hand blender to make the soup into a smooth mixture. Add salt, pepper, basil and oregano to the soup and taste.
- Add the meatballs to the soup and leave to simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Check if the meatballs are done after about 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup with some fresh basil. You can also add some lactose-free cream if you like.
*Tomatoes and bell pepper have been retested in 2022. Tomatoes are now only low FODMAP up to 65 gram per serving and red bell pepper up to 43 gram per serving. As this recipe contains both, I advise not making this recipe if you are still in the elimination phase or when you know that you react to fructose. If you tolerate fructose well, this recipe shouldn’t cause any issues.
- Prep Time: 45 min
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: International
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 290
- Fat: 18
- Carbohydrates: 8
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 23
Keywords: tomato, soup, gluten-free, FODMAP, lactose-free